Suzie2: Need Osa help!

Nov 19th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Suzie2: Need Osa help!

Hi,
I have read through all of your posts and really appreciate your sharing so much information. It is clear that you really have an affinity for CR and you are generous with your knowledge. I am in the process of making reservations at either Punta Meranco Lodge or Las Caletas. Both places sound lovely-- we are a family of four (children are ages 8 and 10). Could you compare these two places or point me to someone who could. Thank you!
Nov 20th, 2003, 06:15 PM

Both places are quite a bit south of Drake Bay and I haven't been down that way yet. We have considered it. Even after 11 years of traveling down there we still have new and exciting places we want to visit. It sounds like a great place for seeing wildlife.
Wish I could help you more on this but I haven't even heard of anyone who has been there.
Nov 20th, 2003, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks , anyway! I feel pretty confident that Las Caletas will work out for us. I could save money by going to La Cusinga Lodge which is in the Uvita area (south of Dominica) and does not require a plane ride. They also provide tours to Cano and Corcavado. I can't guage what I give up not being on the Osa. Have you been around that area?
Nov 20th, 2003, 07:00 PM

Wow that was quick! Haven't been to the Uvita area although I have heard it is beautiful. When we were investigating that area we didn't get much further south than Manuel Antonio because the roads were so bad. The road to MA wasn't even paved at that time. Dominical and Uvita were not much of anything then. MA is much too crowded for us now so we headed further south. The Osa is special to us because it is so undeveloped. My husband is not a beach person so when we go it is usually to a place that is more in the woods than on the beach. Unfortunately, the places you have mentioned are not terribly user friendly for singles for when I travel alone. I may talk him into Punta Meranco Or Las Caletas someday just because of their remoteness. There is just something magical about the Osa to us.
Nov 20th, 2003, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I have felt the magic ever since I started reading about it. And yes, quick! We most both be online at the same time. I am so eager to make a decision, I keep checking! Thanks for all your help.
Nov 20th, 2003, 07:23 PM

Found these on another board:
1) I visited Playa Uvita or Playa Ballena, there are a few names for it, last summer. I went to the beach that is in the national park area. So far, it is my favorite beach in Costa Rica.I stayed at a litte place called Cabinas Dogmar, nice family run place. Decent, inexpensive rooms with bed and bathroom(cold water). The places are hard to get a hold of. I just showed up on a bus and found a place.The beach is just a short walk, you have to pass through the national park entrance to get to it. The place is very low-key, just a few sodas and pulperias. I would advise buying bottled water, it is readily available.But, as you said, you don't speak Spanish, that might be a problem for you. When I went with a friend of mine, we were studying Spanish at the university, so we were able to communicate. I hope this helps.
2)
Nov 20th, 2003, 07:25 PM

oops. was a little quick with the post button. Here is one more.
Punta Uvita is a beautiful beach and not very congested. It isn't a tourist spot at all, which is great for the beach aspect but that also means there is limited lodging and food. There are a few different places with cabinas within walking distance from the national park entrance. There is a tiny commerical area with a couple small convenience stores, some pay phones, about three bars and a couple restaurants. To get the the beach via the national park entrance costs 400 colones per person each time which isn't bad and is great because it helps maintain the area for all to enjoy. I highly recommend bottled water and water there isn't warm as far as showers or anything, at least in the cabinas. Just so you know what to expect. But it is a great place to experience some of the best things nature can offer. If you can manage to learn a few key phrases in Spanish you should do just fine. Good luck!
Pura Vida
Hope these two reviews help.
Nov 21st, 2003, 05:41 AM

I found the following post regarding Las Caletas.....but just so you know, it was written at the end of April, 2002 so it could be better ot worse now.

"Las Caletas is a great spot if you want a more rustic experience. The people here are wonderful, no they are the best of all the hotels I visited. They are the most accommodating and the food was above average. This place is perfect if you are trying to watch your dollars and don't need the luxury amenities. Their rooms are very basic with mosquito netting and all have small porches for lounging and watching the sunsets."
He also said "most of the hotels don't really have a beach except for Caletas. They are located in a small cove (caleta) that has a beach."

He did not review Punta Meranco, but reviewed Drake Bay Wilderness Resort, Lapa Rios, Aguila de Osa, Casa Corcovado, and La Paloma.
Nov 21st, 2003, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for sharing your finds. I went ahead and booked a stay for our family for a whole week at Las Caletas. I can't wait!