Suzie2, how was La Paz Peace Garden Lodge?

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suzie2, how was La Paz Peace Garden Lodge?

Hi Suzie2....I see that you're back from your month long visit. Please tell me how your stay was at Peace Lodge. I'm planning to spend several nights in Manuel Antonio and then thought I'd spend 3 or 4 nights at LaPaz and use it as a base for day trips. Is the weather constantly cloudy at LaPaz....would a Central Valley location be better for weather and touring and maybe just one night at Peace Lodge?
Thanks for your insight...and that of any other former guests at Peace Lodge.
Martha
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 07:22 PM

I'm planning on spending 3 nights at Peace Lodge and using that as a base for day trips too! I can't wait to heare Suzie2's feedback!
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 09:17 PM

Okay.
The rooms were great! We spent 2 nights there. Valentines day ended up being very cloudy up there so we took advantage of it by bouncing between the two jacuzzies and sitting by the fireplace reading after hiking around in the morning. The waterfall behind the indoor jacuzzi was neat but it did drown out the sound of the stereo so we didn't use it all the time. There are two showers also. One was in a corner of the jacuzzi/waterfall area and had both a waterfall and showerhead. The other shower was just a simple but fairly large enclosed shower. They have a cd player with complimentary cds you can play as well as a tv. There are speakers in the bathroom and in the main room. There are huge fluffly white robes to put on. In honor of valentines day the hotel gave each room a bouquet of roses. There is also a mini bar and a coffee maker.
Lots of construction going on (quiet on the weekend). There are more rooms being built and they are putting in a new restaurant down by the hummingbird garden.
From the balcony you look down over the garden area and the butterfly observatory. We got up early before the crowds got there and walked around the paths and the waterfalls. We particularly liked the hummingbird area. Be prepared for lots of steps down. They have a van that picks you up at the bottom and brings you back to the main area. There is a buffet breakfast.
Downsides, there were doors that you could open to get to the next room. If you wanted adjoining rooms with other people I guess that would have been okay but they weren't terribly soundproof. We didn't have a car so we ate all our meals there. Lunch was a buffet and was the same both days and was okay. Lunch is served to the public also not just the hotel guests. Dinner......we just aren't the french dinner kind of people. We had to let them know what time we wanted to eat (could have had dinner sent to the room), what we wanted to eat and we were assigned a table and a waiter. The way things were set up it did not encourage conversation between the tables so everyone just sat rather stiffly at their own table and talked quietly. The tab for each dinner which also included 3 beers and 2 glasses of wine came to $75 each night. I honestly didn't feel it was worth that much. Dinner was painfully slow. There was a group of people who had arranged for a big buffet dinner downstairs from where we were eating for Valentines day. We were already upstairs at our table when they arrived by bus. By the time we had finally finished dinner, they had eaten, were gone and everything was cleaned up. We could have hired a taxi to get out to eat someplace else but we just wanted to stay in as it was our last day together before my husband left for home and we had been running around for over 2 weeks by then.
The clouds did start rolling in late morning each day and then cleared up again late afternoon. If you had been down the mountain doing day tours you would not have noticed them. Poas is only about 15-20 mins away.

To recap....again, the rooms were great. Having a car or taxi to get out for meals would have made a big difference. We didn't see too much in the way of restaurants nearby except for a couple of nice looking Tico places. Saw signs for Xandara and Vista del Valle Plantation so they werent' too far away.

a quick note: the people who built Peace Lodge are also building a place near Arenal and on the Rio Savegre. Word has it that they hit a hot spring when digging for a well for the hotel in the Arenal area and are now planning on something even bigger than Tabacon.

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 09:27 PM

Wow, I'm glad we'll have a car there. I'm sure we'll find something to eat! That is scarey that they are planning something bigger than Tabacon. I hope Arenal doesn't turn into Vegas!
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:16 PM

Hi all, I am a new Fodorite planning my first trip to CR in November. I was so grateful to hear about the Peace Lodge, Suzie2. I will be staying there 3 nights in a deluxe room. I can't wait. Most of my trip will be paid for through a travel agent when I get to CR so I am trying to figure out the cost of meals, etc. Suzie2, you mentioned that the meals were about $75 night. What was the food like? Can you offer more information on the meals? What do you mean when you said you had to let them know the time and type of meal you wanted? Were the drinks expensive? Minibar? Also, you mentioned taking a taxi into town. Are taxis available nearby? Thanks for the information.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 08:14 PM

Lunch buffet was the usual rice and beans, salad,torillas, pot roast in a gravy, chili and a couple of other things I think. Not terribly exciting but edible. Breakfast was rice and beans and eggs, fruit, might have been other stuff but I am not a big breakfast eater so didn't really notice. Don't remember how much lunch was. There is a small fridge so you could eat a big buffet lunch and then have some things in your room for later if you aren't a big eater. If we had known we would have just picked up some cheese and crackers and been perfectly happy sitting in the jacuzzi munching. It would have to be cold food as there was no way to heat anything up. There is a large grocery store in Alajuela that you could stop in if you wanted to go that route.
Our first night there I had chicken with a mushroom cream sauce. It was pretty tasty and came with bread with dipping oil, soup, salad, and dessert. My husband had some kind of steak. He did not repeat his meal the next night but did get what I had had the first night. I tried the pasta with a white sauce and amazingly enough it tasted just like the mushroom sauce I had had the night before! Glad I liked it LOL. The actual dinner was about $22 pp. The drinks were on top of that and then they add the usual huge tax and 10%gratuity that you pay everywhere for meals.
As far as letting them know... You have to tell them in the afternoon what you will be having for dinner and you also pick the time you want to eat. You eat in a special room upstairs and the tables all have nice tablecloths and there is a fire in the big fireplace. They can make simple drinks up there like scotch and soda, gin and tonic type drinks but no pina coladas, etc.
We didn't really inquire about a taxi but I am assuming the hotel could call for one for you. It did seem that many of the guests ate dinner there. There are only 8 rooms I think so there aren't a lot of people. You could save a lot if you just had water with your meal.
How nice that a lot of your visit there is taken care of. The rooms are very nice and when the clouds rolled in we felt snug as a bug with the fireplace going. Enjoy!

LA, Everything else is getting built up so I guess Arenal is next. The Northern Guanacaste area is the hot place right now so maybe there will still be some quiet time in Fortuna for a little while longer.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 08:21 PM

Thanks for all of the wonderful information. We'll have to see what its like when we get there. My husband is a picky eater so I am afraid for him, but we are arriving by private transfer so we'll probably ask him to stop in town so we can pick up some snacks like you recommended.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 11:16 PM

Yeah, we have a car, so we'll pick up some stuff on the way too. Sounds nice! I can't wait until July
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 04:52 AM

Suzie2,

First let me say that I have been enjoying your posts for some time while I research my upcoming May trip and thank you in advance for providing so much info to so many questions/posts.

At Peace Lodge, was the room that you describe a deluxe or standard/regular?

Prior to hearing about Peace Lodge I was thinking of my last 3 nights at Xandari to do day trips from (want to river raft, see Poas Volcano & LaPaz waterfall) and be positioned closer to the airport for our departure home. From what you know, would Peace Lodge be a better choice?

We will have a car and prior to those last 3 nights will be in MA.

Does Peace Lodge have a pool? I do enjoy warm & sun and my only concern is that it's May and if it will always be cloudy/raining there. However, we'd be out touring during the day.

I appreciate any thought! Thanks.

Sarah