Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Suze, what's the draw to PV? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/suze-whats-the-draw-to-pv-324935/)

travelinggourmand Mar 17th, 2008 08:16 AM

Suze, what's the draw to PV?

Making my first trip to PV. Not sure
why except it sounds a bit rustic and exotic and needed to use timeshare. You've been there MANY times. What's keeps drawing you back? Have you eated ant eggs or fried worms?

suze Mar 17th, 2008 11:23 AM

Nope I have not eaten ant eggs or fried worms (never even heard of them, why do you ask?).

Like "true love" it is very hard to explain my own attraction to Vallarta. You will either feel it or you won't. For me it is a place that simply feels very strongly that I belong there.

Suze

travelinggourmand Mar 17th, 2008 02:48 PM

Food is one of my main reasons for traveling. Posole, seviche, menudo would be common things to sample in Mexico but the "prehispanic Indians had maguey worms, ant eggs, fried grasshopper and how about corn fungus. I may consider these. Has anyone tried them?

suze Mar 17th, 2008 03:17 PM

I don't think there are many "prehispanic Indians" living in Puerto Vallarta these days.

Stewbear Mar 17th, 2008 03:47 PM

If you are looking for areas with lots of Indeginous people check out the area around Lake Patzcuaro including the small city of Patzcuaro. Very much non-Hispanic in fact after their "king" was betrayed by Cortes burning him at the stake they remain fiercely anti Spanish untill this day.
Gringos are welcome however.

TrvlMaven Mar 17th, 2008 04:04 PM

Legend has it if you eat "chapulines" (grasshoppers) you will return one day. The maguey worm is in the Mezcal bottle. Do go to Patzcuaro--try the Tarascan soup--excelente!

annetti Mar 18th, 2008 10:17 AM

I understand that there is a famous restaurant in Mexico City that serves pre-Colombian food just as you described above. The restaurant was featured on one of the travel shows a few years back and I remember that they were eating some kind of larva among other appetizing things. Perhaps, someone on this board recalls the show and restaurant. Not that this helps much for PV! But, if you decide on a trip to MC, as well as PV, you might want to look for it.

By the way, I do remember seeing live beetles (of some sort) being sold at local markets and small eateries in outlying areas near to Oaxacco, if my memory is correct re the city, and being put into tacos on the spot.

robertino Mar 18th, 2008 10:55 AM

The corn fungus or huitlacoche is fairly easy to find all over Mexico and is very tasty. Think of black pureed mushrooms.

I loved Oaxaca but could not bring myself to sample the chapulines despite the guarantee of return to such a wonderful city.

Food is a big part of Vallarta's appeal. Great restaurants of all kinds. Mexican, international, French, Italian, German, Asian, etc. I had dinner with friends at Vista last week. Amazing food with an amazing view, and superb service.

suze Mar 18th, 2008 11:01 AM

PV has fantastic restaurants, all types, all price ranges... Mexican, French, Argentinian, Greek, Asian, Italian, BBQ, seafood, on and on.

I am not aware of any restaurants in PV serving bugs.

"rustic" or "exotic" are not words I would use to describe Vallarta. I don't think your picture of it is quite in line with reality (as much as I can tell from your brief posts, if you're being serious).

jbass Mar 19th, 2008 01:20 PM

Puerto Vallarta is charming; beautiful setting on the Bay; nice people; great town square; pretty old Church on town square.
Having just been to Cabo San Lucas; what a world of difference. Glad I went to CSL so I know I can spend all my next trips to Mexico in PV.
I, too, have never (intentionally) eaten bugs of any kind in PV. ;)