Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

survey - how many people actually got shots for Costa Rica?

Jan 29th, 2003, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi there, Just trying to figure out if we really need them. They are recomending Hepatitis A and Typhoid? How many people actually get these shots to visit Costa Rica? Right now i think we have a better chance of getting the flu when we go to get the shots then actually contracting either of these - HELP?????
Jan 29th, 2003, 08:14 AM

I've been to Costa Rica 8 times. First time in March 1993, last trip this past New Years, 2003. I've never had shots for any of my trips!
Jan 29th, 2003, 10:16 AM

Personally, I think everyone should be vaccinated against Hepatitis A, whether they travel or not. That being said, I hadn't gotten around to doing it before our trip last year to CR.

Returning in two weeks and haven't gotten any typhoid or malaria prophylaxis. I think you can get tablets rather than shots for both typhoid and malaria.
Jan 29th, 2003, 10:33 AM

Just an FYI - every kid in the US born today is immunized for Hep A and Hep B. Even if you don't travel, and especially if you do, Hep A is a good idea. Hep is common in South America, particulary if you are going to be eating seafood. This may be true for Costa Rica as well. That said, Hep A outbreaks happen in the US as well.
Jan 29th, 2003, 01:18 PM

Sorry to disagree, but I'm a nurse in a pediatric clinic, and most children are not immunized against Hepatitis A in the state of Iowa. I know some states are starting to require this vaccine, but it hasn't happened in this state yet. In fact the vaccine that we have available at our clinic is not FDA approved in children under the age of two. I'm hoping this changes soon. I think that all children should be vaccinated for Hep A, but it's not happening yet.
Jan 29th, 2003, 01:29 PM

The country of Costa Rica not only has a higher literacy rate, no army (they claim) but a fantastic health system.. I would not hesitate to NOT take any shots.
Jan 29th, 2003, 03:04 PM

I didn't get them... I was fine. Apparently there are some remote areas where they are recommended; if you're sticking to major tourist areas, you shouldn't have a problem.
Jan 31st, 2003, 07:53 AM

Been there twice in the last 6 months. No shots taken in preperation to going.
Feb 1st, 2003, 10:59 AM

Been to Costa Rica twice in past two years and didn't get any shots. Although I do agree with other posters that it's a good idea to get shots for Hep A & B. And one of these days, I'll get around to doing it myself.
Feb 2nd, 2003, 05:18 AM

All kids are being vaccinated for Hep. B. I have not lived in a state where they give Hep. A vacccinations.
That said, I travel to Latin America a lot. Why not go get a Hep A. shot just in case. I wouldn't worry about typhoid at all. If you do want it however, it is a one dose capsule. I took it to go to Honduras after the floods, but I doubt it was needed. Have a good trip.
Feb 2nd, 2003, 08:04 AM
ALF

If you spend a lot of time along the southern Carribean coast, I would consider getting treated for malaria.
Feb 3rd, 2003, 06:51 PM

I had my shots a couple months ago. Hep A and an overdue tetanus booster; my travel doc said there was no real call for Hep B unless I might be sexually active with a new partner or exposed to blood somehow. She didn't recommend malaria or typhoid.

Interestingly, she did ask quite specifically whether I would be in the Guanacaste region. I won't, so I don't know what her follow-up on that would have been. Apparently, she would have suggested something else.

Anyway -- now my plans have changed a bit, and I'm planning to spend three nights in Cahuita that I didn't mention to the doc. Now I'm worried about whether I should go back for anti-malarials??
Feb 4th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Tia

Debbie:

My husband and I went to CR last March. We did get the shots that were recommended by our health care provider. They also asked us, too, if we'd be in the Guanacaste region, which, by the way, is where we encounted the most bug bites. We got malaria, Typhoid, tetnus, and the Hep A & B series (which is good to have anyway). We had no ill side effects whatsoever. Plus, all shots were paid for by our insurance. If they wouldn't have been, we may have had second thoughts. However, my dad had malaria and it was very, VERY bad according to him. I guess I didn't care to take that chance for a few side effects. We do a lot of traveling outside of the country, so the HEP series was just smart for us to have for that very reason. This seems to be a really common question regarding travel to CR. By the way, YOU'LL LOVE IT!!! I can't wait to go back!!

Tia