Sun Village San Miguel

Old Oct 31st, 1999, 10:29 AM
John

Sun Village San Miguel

Considering this hotel, right downtown Cozumel. Has anyone been there? We know about San Miguel, specifics of the actual hotel greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance. John.

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 04:52 PM
Eleanor Snedden

Hi John. <BR>My husband and I were in Cozumel in Feb/99 and stayed about 15 minutes south of town (Reef Club Isla Cozumel). We saw the Sun Village in downtown and it's right at the harbour across the street from the ocean. There is no ocean swimming in the area, so if you like a hotel that's in walking distance to everything and looks very basic, this one is for you. Personally it's not for me. It all depands on what you are going to Cozumel for, if it's for diving only this place might be OK, I look forward to the beaches, swimming, diving and snorkeling.

Old Jan 3rd, 2000, 10:26 AM
mark

We were going to stay there when we went, but there is no ocean view. We stayed at hotel barracuda about 1/2 mile south of there, it was on the ocean with great snorkeling, at around 80$ a night. But here in minneapolis, they always have air and hotel packages to san miguel for under 300$. So if you are on a budget, you can take a cab to the beach. A friend stayed at san miguel, liked it, but it was noisy. So bring earplugs if you want to sleep.

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 06:06 PM
mark

My fiance and I stayed at the Sun Village for one week in December. <BR> <BR>Its definitely not a fancy place but it has a nice pool in back and make sure that you ask for a room overlooking the Plaza on the second floor which has a balcony. There's a Margarita bar which plays very loud music at night, next to the hotel so make sure you get a room away from the end of the hotel. We spent most of our time out of the hotel touring the isle and enjoying San Miguel. The hotel is close to restaurants and shopping so its ideal. As said, the place isn't fancy and the AC was loud but the rooms are comfortable. You're going to be a half hour from the good beaches on the south of the isle so you'll need to rent a jeep or take a cheap taxi there. The money we saved staying here, we used to take tours to Chitzen Itza and Tulum. On Sundays the locals gather for dancing in the plaza. If you're looking for a cozy non-all inclusive place to stay I'd definitely recommend the Sun Village.

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 05:16 PM
Shell

We've been to Cozumel 12 times now in the past four years, usually for two weeks at a time. In May 1998, we had a problem with our hotel and checked out Sun Village San Miguel. We found it to be a modest hotel, with a decent-sized room with private bath and balcony overlooking the main square. There's a small pool out back (unusal for an in-town hotel). We ultimately didn't stay there so I can't comment on the noise from the square if you turn in early. The price was around $45/night -- not the cheapest on the island (however, I'd avoid the Barracuda -- it's a true diver's hotel, meaning that most divers would stay in a hovel so that they could spend more on divin -- no offense meant to divers!). If you're looking for good value, albeit southeast of town, e-mail me for information on Alicia's B&B -- $25/night in new rooms with a homemade breakfast, including chorizo and made-to-order omelets, fruit, etc. Mini-fridges in room. $35/night if you want the "big" room." I've personally not met Alicia, but have been in contact with her for 9 months. I'm staying there myself for a night in March. Or you can contact me at www.gringoguide.com <BR> <BR>Cheers, Shell