Suggestions re Cozumel Please!

Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions re Cozumel Please!

Have been to Cozumel once before and stayed at the Wyndham Aura Adults-only all inclusive and loved it!
This time we are going to Cozumel in mid-February and staying at the all-inclusive Cozumel Palace which is close to downtown. While we love the all-inclusives, we would love to get out and explore the local places, including good restaurants and bars, etc.
Does anyone have any suggestions????
(Note: We have to be really careful since my husband is highly allergic to garlic - can't even have anything cooked on the same grill that has garlic in it! Nor can he have highly season/jalapeno type items!) - I know - that's tough to do in Mexico!!!!
Any suggestions would be appreciated! e
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 12:38 PM
TC

Send me an email at corbinco2 at aol dot com and I will send you a copy of my "What to Do and Where to Eat". We go to Cozumel every Feb and have been going for about 18 years. You may have a hard time with the "can't eat anything that has been cooked on a grill with garlic" part of your needs. I'm just not sure how you will insure that -- especially in an all inclusive. I can point you to some places that at least speak very good English and will have a better understanding of the seriousness of your request.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you TC - the info you emailed me is GREAT!
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 06:39 PM

You must try Coconuts on the wild side...too good to be true as is the drive around the Island. Go to your conciere and ask for a good deal on a rental car and spend the day driving the other side. Take a picnic and then, eat dinner at Cococnuts (can't miss it, there is only one road...try deap sea fishing. We chartered a boat just the two of us and a three man crew and had 4 hours for $400.00. Caught plenty of fish, good drinks and snacks and plenty of conversation. Great deal. Check out the cenotoes and snorkel one. They are a gas. Zip lines available as is horseback riding. Love Cozumel and go as often as we can get away.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you midwayusa!!! My hubby keeps wanting to get a taxi driver to spend the afternoon and drive us around to the various beach bars, etc....but I like the idea of renting a car. Any suggestions re a good rental? Also, why do they call it the Wild Side????
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Please somebody......why do they call it the Wild Side???? And rental car suggestions?
Thanks!!!!!!
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 08:40 PM
TC

They call it the wild side because it is the open ocean side of the island and because it is pretty much uninhabited. Only a couple of bars and one small hotel. There is no electricity on that side of the island. The inhabited side of the island faces the mainland. They are divided by a big channel, but the sea is not so rough (wild) as the other side.

If you just want a car for a day, pick it up at your hotel. That's the easiest and you won't save much on a one day rental by shopping around.
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you TC! I figured wild side meant it had a lot of beach bars! Lol
I know by now you are in Cozumel! Hope you are having a great time!
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 10:34 AM
TC

Not there until Saturday.....but counting the days and packing the stuff.
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Know what you mean! Will you have internet/email access where you are staying? Hope we do.......leaving my Mac at home this trip and just taking hubby's new Verizon Ipad and my Droid phone - hope we can get access so I can reference all of this info down there! You've been a lot of help in getting my info together for our trip!
If we can get in touch, maybe we can meet and we'll buy you a Margarita! eb
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 06:39 AM
TC

Too kind. Most hotels have Internet or WiFi. Many places in town have WiFi -- coffee shops etc. You'll have no trouble staying connected. Glad I could help with your holiday. Do enjoy and look for the tall redhead as you dine around town.
Old Aug 29th, 2011, 01:30 PM

Hello ebvacationer......Wondering what hotel you liked better...the aura or the cozumel palace....Send me an e mail to give me your thoughts, Thank you...stevetropic at hotmail.com