Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Suggestions/Opinions re: Casa Magna Marriott Cancun and near area? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/suggestions-opinions-re-casa-magna-marriott-cancun-and-near-area-961056/)

ascoli Jan 1st, 2013 01:30 PM

Suggestions/Opinions re: Casa Magna Marriott Cancun and near area?

I see just a few mentions of Casa Magna here in the forum and they're from a number of years ago. I'd appreciate any current suggestions you might have about the property and the area. We're going next week for five days and are looking forward to quiet beachtime, which it sounds like Casa Magna will offer. Other details:
• we're hoping to eat mostly off property and explore nearby local restaurants. El Fish Frittanga sounds amazing and close. Other suggestions?
• we're renting a car for one day from Thrifty (office on property) and driving early Sunday morning to Chichen Itza for the day.
• apparently there is a new Mayan museum not far from Casa Magna that has opened recently. Anyone been?
• we plan to take buses if we feel like doing more exploring
• many people suggest loading up on supplies at the stores across the street from Casa Magna.

Any help/verification is appreciated!

ascoli Jan 3rd, 2013 12:59 PM

ascoli Jan 9th, 2013 04:43 AM

Taking off tomorrow! Any last minute tips?

zootsi Jan 9th, 2013 05:27 AM

I'm not familiar with this hotel or the hotel strip in Cancun, but visit the area south of Cancun very often. Don't be afraid to explore with your car rental - Puerto Morelos, Akumal,and Tulum are all fun places for a day trip, and easy drives from Cancun. I migh consider a bus if going to Playa Del Carmen, since there could be traffic in downtown Playa. Go to locogringo.com for lots of info on the whole area.

ascoli Jan 9th, 2013 07:07 AM

Thank you, zootsi!

sassy_cat Jan 9th, 2013 05:46 PM

We have stayed here or at the JW Marriott next door 3 or 4 times including late Dec 2011. Yes there's the OXO store opposite for cheap snacks, drinks including beer etc.
If you click on my name you can probably find a trip report.

Rent a car for longer if possible.
Chichen Itza is such a loong day trip so start early or take a tour instead to avoid the long drive yourself.
Akumal and Tulum are both worth visiting for a day trip with your own transport.

ascoli Jan 11th, 2013 04:20 AM

Thank you, Sassycat! We're reconsidering Chichen Itza, trying to determine if its a 2.5 hr drive or 3.5. We'd hate to miss it and were thinking of including Ek Balam. Perhaps only the latter...

sassy_cat Jan 11th, 2013 05:21 AM

We did Chichen Itza as a day trip by car and although we had a great day I wouldn't recommend doing it that way from Cancun. It's just too far and it was dark on the journey back. We try to stick to driving in the daylight in Mexico as much as possible.

If you do go then start early (we thought 8am was early enough on vacation!)
Better to leave Cancun before 7am and get to the site before tour groups (and when it's cooler).

I've not been to Ek Balam (it's been on my to do list for many years though!).

ascoli Jan 13th, 2013 06:45 PM

We opted to go only to Ek Balam. It was splendid and just 1.5-2.0 hrs away. Had a brief lunch and walk in Valladolid, and back to Cancun by 4:30. Fuller report in a few days. Thanks for the help!

Elainee Jan 14th, 2013 06:55 PM

We had lunch at the cenote in Valladolid. Very nice lunch, very local crowd. Then swimming in the cenote. Not a place for busloads of tourists. Highly recommended. Very different from the popular cenotes near Chichen I.