Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Suggestions on Yucatan Itinerary for a Mexico Newbie?

Old Oct 24th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions on my itinerary? I've never been to Mexico before and my boyfriend isn't a chill on the beach kind of guy so we're mixing cities, Mayan ruins and a little beach time at the end of our trip. How did I do? Any suggestions in particular on my route over Christmas? I'm trying to use that day as a travel day, as I'm sure much will be closed?

20-Dec MON Flight into Cancun
21-Dec TUE Chichen Itza route to Merida
22-Dec WED Merida
23-Dec THU Campeche
24-Dec FRI Campeche
25-Dec SAT drive back to Riveria Maya
26-Dec SUN Tulum
27-Dec MO Tulum
28-Dec TUE Tulum
29-Dec WED Tulum
30-Dec THU Flight out of Cancun

We plan to use our Tulum time to visit Cenotes, the Sian Kaan reserve, and scuba- depending on how much energy we have left at this point.

Thanks!!
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 03:19 AM

www.yucatantoday.com

www.mayan-traveler.com

good info for you..

Looks fine to me stay flexible have fun...

might pick up Palenque it is amazing

www.xel-ha.com cool though touristic for snorkel

around Tulum..nearby Uxmal also pretty neat.

Happy Journey,
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 04:21 AM
RAC

If you're looking for low energy activities, the Yal-Ku lagoon is a gorgeous place to do some leisurely snorkeling.

Also, Xcaret is worth checking out--the night show is amazing and you could spend two days there and still not do or see everything.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 04:57 AM
ss

Rache, Hope it's not too late to say we drove from Merida to Campeche to look at a real estate deal. BIG MISTAKE. I don't know what you expect to find there (if you know something we don't know, please share it), it's a long drive and I'd say not worth it at all. Better, much nicer, more interesting to go south from Cancun. Merida is ok, it has grown so much and is very crowded, but a nice colonial city and not far from the ruins.
I agree with Xcaret night show, the best Mayan show I've ever seen and I've seen a lot! Don't know if you can just buy a night pass. The day experience was fair.
The ruins are great, Chichen Itza, Tulum and even Coba not far from Tulum - be sure to do the pedi taxi will save you lots of time.
The Yucatan is a special and beautiful place, amazing food. Enjoy!
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 05:32 AM

For me that would be waaaay too much time on the road. My suggestion (based on our 1st visit to México last June which was wonderful) would be to head to Valladolid and spend a few nights, visiting some cenotes and the ruins of Ek Balam and Chichén Itzá from there, and maybe heading to the gulf coast to the cute town of San Felipe for a few days to catch some tarpon (if you're into fishing) and see the flamingos, then head to the beach.

Check out the photo blog and detailed travelogue (with transportation and lodging info) linked on the main page of the Yucatán collection here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Happy trails!
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 08:38 AM
kja

I really enjoyed Campeche, but it is a bit far afield of the rest of your trip. You might consider making time to see Uxmal and the Ruta Puuc, Valladolid (with Ek Balam and the Cenotes de Dzitnup), and/or Izamal instead.

Enjoy!
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions- I'm looking for a fast pace to start the trip. I really want to fit in Campeche as I've never been to Mexico and would love to see a few old colonial cities. As a UNESCO site, it looks like Campeche fits the bill. Does Valladolid measure up? Thanks!
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 11:45 AM
kja

Campeche and Valladolid are quite different. I enjoyed Valladolid, but more for what it was near than the town itself (although I did enjoy a number of the things I saw in the town). I enjoyed Campeche more for the town itself.

Although my trip was a few years ago, you might find my notes on restaurants in some of the places you plan to visit helpful:

http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...nd-chiapas.cfm
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks- I've put the Hechizo and La Pigua on my itinerary now too.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 06:47 PM

Visited Tulum for a week with my GF a few years ago and we loved it!

Stayed at Cabanas Copal in a sand-floor hut on the beach with no running water or electricity ($25 a night) and wanted to stay another week!

Definitely get to the cenotes, ruins, and take some time to recharge your batteries on the beach with a drink in hand. Great food and strawberry daquiris (not my usual drink) at local restaurants and helpful people all around.

Very beautiful place and there are some more "upscale" hotels if you're not quite as rustic travelers as we are!
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 07:44 PM

We're avid backpackers in back country Oregon and Washington and have loved living like Robinson Crusoe on Glover's Atoll, Belize - no running water or electricity - but were happy to have a room with ac in Tulúm Pueblo last June because it was incredibly HOT. December shouldn't be as hot but having electricity through the night might still be a good thing (not available on the beach there unless you stay at a really high end place with 24 hour generators) - not sure about that.