Suggestions for short CR trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girlfriends and I are considering visiting Costa Rica for the first time for 4 or 5 days in late October/early November. We'll be flying into San Jose. We're thinking of staying in a "resort" type hotel and doing a couple of day trips from there. Any suggestions on hotel or things to do? Is it best to rent a car or take buses? Any advice is appreciated!!
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 03:25 PM

I would go over to Arenal and see the volcano. Also there is a tour to Caño Negro which is also great.

Just so you know, October and December is their heavy rain season.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 07:59 AM

The Peace Lodge at La Paz Waterfall Gardens is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. We just spent the last two nights of our honeymoon there. It's only about an hour drive from the airport, and you can choose to spend all or some of your trip there. There are many day trips you can take from the hotel, like trips to the Poas Volcano, coffee plantations, rafting, and an awesome zip-line tour. Plus, the trails on the property take you along a river ith five picture-perfect waterfalls in lush, green rainforest. Honestly, the rooms and bathrooms are absolutely breathtaking, the temperature there is very pleasant, and you get your own private jacuzzi on your balcony overlooking the volcano. So cool!
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 01:57 PM

rainy season ends in November
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 07:26 PM

4-5 days is a nice amount of time to visit Manuel Antonio as well, where you'll have both beach and rainforest.

Last year my daughter and I visited the Caribbean side (Puerto Viejo and Manzanillo) during the very same time frame. We had 4 nights. We stayed the first and last night near the airport (2 different hotels owned by friends) and 2 nights at Almonds & Corals Tent Camp near Manzanillo. We had a great time with very little rainfall. But it wasn't our first trip to Costa Rica.

If you don't care about beach time, there are, as Dariow and ScoutPro said, SO many things to do around San Jose and Arenal. One that comes to mind is rafting the Pacuare river. And there are so very nice hotel/resorts in this area. Xandari, Vista del Valle, Peace Lodge.

In your situation, I would highly recommend the Highlights of Costa Rica tour. You will see SO much in one day--it is an amazing tour and very popular. It picks up in San Jose. If you are staying fairly close to the airport (within 20-30 minutes) you can take a taxi to the Hampton Inn and they will pick you up there.

There is a website--do a google search of "Highlights of Costa Rica Tour".

Possible itinerary:

Day 1: Arrival. . .settle in to your hotel, activity (depending on time)

Day 2: Raft the Pacuare

Day 3: Highlight Tour (includes Poas, part of La Paz Waterfall Gardens, and a jungle cruise on the Rio Sarapiqui)

Day 4: Hire a private driver to take you to some small towns like Grecia, Sarchi, Zarcero. . .

Day 5: departure?