Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Suggestions for our last day... (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/suggestions-for-our-last-day-574893/)

leeski Dec 6th, 2005 08:35 PM

Suggestions for our last day...

Hello. We will be returning from Montezuma and have one free day before returning to San Jose. I would be grateful for some input. We would like to go to Monteverde but are thinking that there isn't enough time. Any suggestions?

costaklaus Dec 6th, 2005 09:03 PM

Hello, Monteverde is a bit far from airport SJO , the transportation will be 4 to 5 hours. I recommend to visit one of the volcanes Poas or Irazu, also La Paz waterfall gardens will be great for a day tour.
Saludos
costaklaus - www.costaricaweb.<font color=red>de</font>

leeski Dec 7th, 2005 05:17 AM

Thanks for the thoughts. We will probably go to Poas and the Waterfall the day after we arrive in CR. Any thoughts for places to explore between where the ferry returns from Montezuuma and San Jose?

dfarmer Dec 7th, 2005 10:24 AM

Since you were wanting a cloud forest - possibly look at the Los Angeles Cloud Forest Reserve. Not exactly Monteverde, but would be interesting.

There is a hotel there called Villablanca that gets nice reviews. Possibly stay there on your last night.

Looking at your map, this would put you just a few miles north of San Ramon.

sandyc Dec 7th, 2005 12:24 PM

My friend Gustavo does a nice day tour from San Jose. He takes you for a nature hike or stroll through the Tapanti Rainforest. It's a really nice one -- they're all a little different. Then you go to lunch at Sanchari -- beautiful view, and then to Rio Perlas to soak in the natural hot spring pools and maybe have a cocktail or two to relax. He's a fantastic guide -- knowledgeable and funny. You can write to him at [email protected] or call him at 011-506-836-3679. He's really popular so you usually have to book him in advance.

Pura Vida!
Sandy

leeski Dec 7th, 2005 02:10 PM

I've seen the reviews on the Villablanca. Sounds good. We don't necessarily have to go to a cloud forest...I am just looking for something interesting to do on the way back to San Jose...as well as a nice place to spend the night We have another complete day to make it back to San Jose so it is reasonable to be a few hours away.

Sandy..your info about the guide is good except that we will be on our way back to San Jose...not in San Jose. As always, I appreciated the energy and input. Thanks aand tell me more!!!

raderbarbarian Dec 7th, 2005 02:18 PM

You don't say how you are traveling (whether you have a car or taking the bus or using a shuttle service or ...), but I believe the perfect spot for you would be

http://www.vistadelvalle.com/

IF they are not already booked for the time you need. There are several other options in the same area (about 30 minutes to an hour from the airport).

You might even like to come visit us up here in Grecia de Alajuela and discover our waterfall Los Chorros ($4 per person - and if you go in the middle of the week, you'll have it to yourself.)

leeski Dec 7th, 2005 03:38 PM

Ooops...we will have a rental car. Can you tell me anything about the Adventure Inn outside of San Jose?

shillmac Dec 7th, 2005 05:09 PM

You might enjoy Turu-Bari Park south of Puntarenas (but not far) driving toward Jaco. It would be a pleasant way to spend the day and you could finish off the evening and night at La Finca Que Ama--a great little hotel tucked away down between Puriscal and San Pablo Turubares. You would get there via Orotina--about 45 min. from Turu-Bari and 1.5 hr. from the airport.

You've probably read several posts here on Fodor's about this hotel and its gracious hosts, Neta and Arbel. It would be a lovely way to finish up your trip--nice hotel, good company, great food, and Turu-Bari--all in one day! :)

raderbarbarian Dec 7th, 2005 06:04 PM

The Adventure Inn sits in the corner of a modern, charmless subdivision which is quite isolated but still next to the main freeway between the airport and San Jose. Nothing in the area to do. You would need to take a taxi or tour anywhere you go - even to grab a bite to eat. This hotel's only usefulness as far as I can tell is that it would be somewhat convenient for making it to the airport for an early morning flight. But even for that, there are better choices. I found the Adventure Inn totally without redeeming value except that it is clean. It will remind you of every cheap chain hotel you ever visited in the States.

leeski Dec 8th, 2005 05:27 AM

shillmac...i think Turu Ba Ri sounds perfect though I need a less expensive place to stay. Perhaps you know of something in the $80-$100 range. We have the whole next day to explore before getting back to a hotel near the airport. Thanks so much for all of the great info.
And raderbarbarian..thanks to you for the Advrnture Inn info.

shillmac Dec 8th, 2005 03:47 PM

leeski,
Once we stayed at El Cafetal (near Atenas, which is between Orotina and San Jose). It was in July, and I think the price was $90. That was a couple of years ago. I'm sure it is more now (everything is). El Cafetal is a beautiful little B&amp;B on a coffee plantation. Nice grounds. You might check it out. It is about 20 min. from the airport--or 30. It would be my second choice. :)

leeski Dec 8th, 2005 08:26 PM

shillmac,
you must be reading my mind. I e-mailed them today regarding availability. Looks nice! Thanks!

shillmac Dec 9th, 2005 07:56 PM

It is a nice place--way out in the country--hope you can work it out! :)

leeski Dec 11th, 2005 06:00 AM

Haven't heard back from El Cafetal yet. I was curious as to what the drive is like up the peninsula rather than returning to San Jose by ferry. Is it worth the drive and is there lodging along the way? My other question...and it may seem silly...I keep hearing that you shouldn't leave your belongings in your rental car. Do you carry everything with you when you find an interesting place to stop and explore? Thanks, yet again.

shillmac Dec 12th, 2005 03:48 PM

The drive up the peninsula (as of last July) was SO ROUGH! For a loooong time. Not particularly scenic, either. Just different so that you could say you'd done it. I think that with the heavy heavy rains in September and October, it is probably worse even now. Someone posted to that effect recently, I think.

No, there really isn't lodging along the way. Not that I have ever noticed. We've done that route twice. You are referring to traveling north from Paquera up to Naranjo on highway 21, continuing north to Nicoya and Santa Cruz?

The dilemma about the luggage and the car is tricky. Hard to advise. We try very hard to avoid stopping along the way and leaving the car full of luggage--even if there seems to be security. Instead we usually just go out from our hotel base. There have been a couple of times we have done it with a security person present, but I believe that to be fairly risky. Bottom line, it just isn't a good idea. For sure, if you are someplace and think you have a situation that you can trust, take the most valuable things with you in a daypack (passports, money, credit cards, cameras, etc).