Suggestions for Costa Rica in 8 days

Old Oct 25th, 1998, 06:48 AM
phil

Suggestions for Costa Rica in 8 days

What itinerary, tour company (if necessary) , and accomodations can you recommend for 8 days in Costa Rica. Thank you.

Old Oct 25th, 1998, 11:18 AM
JoAnn

If you want to see most areas in Costa Rica, I suggest you stay in the Central Valley/San Jose area and take trips from there. There is a nice hotel just outside of San Jose "The Bougainvillea" that works with a tour company. I would suggest you get to Monteverde/Arenal area, around the San Jose area, maybe a day trip to the Caribbean side. See a Butterfly farm near San Jose. Also try http://pluto.beseen.com.boardroom/y/19373/ it's a new BBS devoted to Costa Rica Travel. There is also a post on this board about "Costa Rica Travel Letter" Very good letter and it will link to the above BBS. We were there for 7 weeks in '94 and took day trips every week end to see things in CR. Then we spent a week going to Monteverde, and Quepos. Spent 2 weeks last year on the Nicoya coast, but it was too remote to get anywhere fast.

Old Oct 30th, 1998, 02:52 PM
Barry

JoAnn's advice is very good. In July we spent 9 days at the Bougainvillea and took side trips each day from San Jose. Arenal/Tabacon Hot Springs was the highlight. The Rain Forest Aireal Tram outside SJ is also a great half day trip. We did the Los Angeles Cloud Forest as it was closest to SJ and it was great. Spent one day whitewater rafting on the Reventzon. Great!!!! We also went to Sarchi for shopping by public bus. Clean, comfortable and the Costa Ricans are very friendly and helpful. Took another public bus trip to Cartago to see the national chathedral and the beautiful ruins of an old colonial church. Nearby is the Lankester Botanical Gardens, We're not particularly plant people, but the grounds are just gorgeous. Save some time to look around SJ. There's a lot to see: National Museum, National Theater, Gold and Jade museums, etc. Enjoy!

Old Nov 19th, 1998, 01:39 PM
Chris

Hey phil... I'm heading there Sept of next year and found a nice site that lists hotel packages and eco tours all in one site. The URL is http://www.flamingo-travel.com.

We also ordered some books on-line through them about Costa Rica and were able to look up Visa/passport/immunization requirements as well.

Pretty comprehensive... they go most other places as well but their Costa Rica info was right on the money.

Good luck!

Old Nov 20th, 1998, 01:51 PM
Paulette

How is downtown San Jose? Is it safe?
I haven't been there since 1990; but am returning for the holidays this year and plan to spend 3 days in san Jose. what do you thing?