Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Suggestions for a spring break trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/suggestions-for-a-spring-break-trip-1656949/)

Idahogal Aug 15th, 2018 12:32 PM

Suggestions for a spring break trip

My son & family (wife, 2 daughters 12 & 14) are planning a trip to Costa Rica in March. We have been there 3 times & have loved every moment but it's been a few years. Their main interest are 1) seeing lots of wildlife (sloths, monkeys), zip lining, rafting & just enjoying nature. They have one week so think they should keep their travels to two areas. Arenal has the hot springs, zip lines & hikes. Where would be their best area for monkeys & sloths? We've been to Tortuguero & loved it but think it's too far for just a week trip. Last time we were at Manuel Antonio I was very disappointed in the lack of animals & the crowds.
Give me your best adventure this past year.

volcanogirl Aug 16th, 2018 07:08 AM

We discovered the Bogarin Trail in the Arenal area on our last trip. It's kind of a word of mouth type spot owned by a local family. They have preserved the land and planted it with things that the animals like; the trails are easy and flat. We saw five sloths there along with red-eyed tree frogs, cool birds, poison dart frogs, and a mother caiman with babies. We were staying at the Arenal Observatory Lodge and met a girl who was disappointed that she hadn't seen a sloth, so we recommended the Bogarin Trail to her, and she said that they saw seven when they went. It's a neat place. I'm surprised you haven't seen a lot of monkeys in the Manuel Antonio area; they're usually at most of the hotels and all over the national park. In the Arenal area, we've seen them at the Arenal Observatory Lodge, but you have to hunt for them. Have also seen them on the Cano Negro tour with Desafio. If you really want excellent wildlife sightings, you might consider going to the Osa Peninsula. We saw all four species of monkeys there from the front porch of our cabin. It's a wilder area, more off the grid. Selva Verde in the Sarapiqui area also has nice wildlife; we did a boat ride on the river and saw a croc, three species of monkeys, and some nice birds, lots of toucans right on the property.

Idahogal Aug 16th, 2018 11:26 AM

Thanks vocanogirl. The Bogarin Trail sounds great. The first time we stayed at Manuel Antonio there were tons of monkeys. We watched them at the showers in the park but last time there just weren't many. I realize most of the rafting adventures are out of MA. We did the Savegre river with H2O & had a great time. Previously we did the Paquere & absolutely loved it. Are there good class 3 rivers from Arenal? Would love to see the Osa myself but think if they only have a week that may be too much. They do want to spend a day at the beach so suppose Manuel Antonio would be good especially if they raft from there. It is a long drive however. Guanacaste is also a possibility for beaches plus we went to Ricon de Viejo & saw unbelievable amounts of monkeys with no other people there. You are a good resource & I appreciate your feedback.

volcanogirl Aug 16th, 2018 02:45 PM

We did a great rafting trip with Rios Tropicales out of the Arenal area; we did the Sarapiqui. I can't remember what class it was, but you could check their website. Desafio is also good for rafting.

Idahogal Aug 16th, 2018 03:58 PM

We went with Rios Tropicales on the Pacuare & thought they were wonderful. Good to know the other options.

volcanogirl Aug 17th, 2018 05:06 AM

Tulemar Bungalows is a fantastic place to stay in Manuel Antonio if they decide to go that route; tons of wildlife on site, and they have their own beach, pretty views. I like that all the rooms/villas have a frig to keep breakfast stuff on hand and keep drinks cold or store leftovers.