Reload this Page >

Suggestions for a Brazil an and Argentina Trip in August

Old Jun 4th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi..

We are hoping to go to Brazil and Argentina in August for a total of about 8-10 days. Has anyone got any suggestions that might include a few days in Rio, Manaus (for a short Amazon River Trip) and some time in Buenos Aires? We would be flying from the Atlanta, GA airport. This trip would include a lot of flights so we've been looking around the various websites and trying to figure out an itinerary. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 09:41 AM

I focused on Brazil only for a 3-week trip and with the help of a Varig airlines staff member made an itinerary to visit Rio, Manaus/Amazon, the Pantanal, Alcantara and Salvador de Bahia. This gave me a real appreciation for the size and variety of Brazil.

It would be tough to give Brazil and Argentina justice in 8-10 days but maybe someone else has ideas. It's a bit like wanting to see the US and Mexico in 8-10 days!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 09:20 AM

I agree with the previous poster that 8-10 days won't do justice to both countries. Although we haven't been to Brazil, the places you wish to visit would seem to need more time.

We visited BsAs for the first time last November and I have a long file I compiled when planning our trip. If you would like it, please e-mail me. We had two weeks, spent most of the time in BsAs, which we loved, spent two nights in Puerto Iguazu to see the falls, day trip to Colonia and an afternoon in the Delta region.

I think you would be much happier if you went to either Brazil or Argentina and devoted all your 8-10 days to one country.

We flew from SFO to Miami, changed planes, and then nonstop to BsAs. We had a choice of connections in either MIA or Dallas/Ft. Worth on American Airlines.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Well I do realize it's not good to hop, skip and jump like that but my boyfriend wanted to see a little bit of each place and he is the one planning and paying for the trip so he gets the ruling vote lol. Personally, I much prefer to settle into one place and immerse yourself in local culture and move at a slower pace. Anyway, since we will take maybe 2 weeks (I finally convinced him we needed more time if we were going to attempt this) I'd appreciate any ideas or tips you had from your experience.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 01:16 PM

Take Giovanna up on her offer. Her file helped me immensely when I was planning my trip to Argentina.
Old May 11th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Sai

Scubamujer
Depends on what you want to see.
beaches - Salvador de Bahia (2 days)(must!)
Wildlife - Pantanal (2days)(must!)
Rio- Sugarloaf and Christ the reedemer (1-2 days)
River trip - Amazon
Waterfalls - Iguazu ( must !)

Since you have 2 weeks - I would fly into Manaus - see the Amazon area (2days) and then fly into Foz du Iguazu - spend a day and fly to Campo Grande (Pantanal) spend 2 days and go to Rio ( 1 day) before flying to Buenas Aires. Try Brazil Airpass or South America Airpass - this will save you many from all the flying around.
We spent 18 days in Brazil only. Did not go to Argentina - except for visiting the Argentinian side of the falls.

Old May 12th, 2007, 02:43 AM

You will love South America! It seems like the main places you want to go are Rio, Manaus, and BA. All are amazing places that you will enjoy. Your trip can be done over two weeks, but as others suggested, you'll be spending lots of time on planes.

I might suggest substituting Iguazu Falls for the Manaus portion of the trip. The reasons for this would be:
1. much less distance to travel
2. The city of Manaus is not very nice... you have to travel quite a distance on the river to really experience "the Amazon," which could take more time than you have available. In contrast, you only need two days to fully experience the falls.
3. I felt like I had a more classic "rainforest experience" in Iguazu than I did in the Amazon. The Amazon is so vast... it doesn't actually look like what you think a rainforest looks like in your head.
4. The falls are absolutely breathtaking!

Rio and BA are both fabulous. I'm not sure about how the flights would run, but I would think that a Rio-Iguazu-BA trip would be very doable in two weeks. Good luck and have fun!