Stomach virus in Heredia, Costa Rica

Sep 10th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Stomach virus in Heredia, Costa Rica

I had posted a few days ago about stomach problems my visiting student son was having. Thanks for all the helpful replies. I promised that I would update everyone about the outcome, so here goes.

The doctor he saw was very helpful, but he got worse over a span of 5 days. The doctor says there is a stomach virus going around Heredia, so it is affecting the general population. He is staying with a family, and several of the members are sick also. I would say be careful if you are in that area, I don't know my geography there that well, but it seems in fairly close proximity to San Jose. I am still trying to get the food precautions she gave him, but bottled water would seem to be in order, at least.

If I get more info, I will pass it along.

Sep 10th, 2007, 09:47 PM

If it's a virus going around, than it's not caused by the food, right?
Sep 11th, 2007, 04:00 AM

If your son has a virus, that's spread person to person, not via food and water, isn't it? I would think any food or water issue would be bacteria related, not viral. Still not fun for your son, but it should pass. Hope he is feeling better soon!
Sep 11th, 2007, 07:47 AM

Norovirus is spread by poor hygiene and often food is contaminated from unwashed hands.