Staying at the Melia Cancun and Cancun night life

Old May 20th, 2002, 12:13 AM
viv

Staying at the Melia Cancun and Cancun night life

I am going to Cancun with my boyfriend in mid-June and was wondering if anyone has any reviews on their experiences with the Melia Cancun. I'd also like to get recommendations on what to do at night (entertainment, clubs, etc.) Thanks for your input!

Old May 20th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Fran

Have been to Cancun 6 times. We stayed at the Melia last year and were very pleased with it. Nice amenities, great pool area, clean. We are not into the clubs, but the Melia is a great location to get anywhere. Have fun.

Old May 20th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Viv

Fran, thanks for your reply. A few more questions if you don't mind How late do the shopping centers stay open at night? Have you been to the Parque de Las Palapas for the live music? Any suggestions on good restaurants with live music?

Old May 21st, 2002, 01:04 PM
Jean Valjean

The stores schedules depend on the season, but they usually stay open until 9pm. The stores at La Isla stay open until 10pm.

Old May 21st, 2002, 01:53 PM
M

All I can help you with is the night life! the name of the absolute craziest and most popular clubs are Coco Bongo, Senor Frogs, Daddy O, Carlos and Chalies, and countless others... I recommend Senor Frogs.. (it has a water slide in the bar).

Old May 22nd, 2002, 06:00 AM
Kathy

I've been to Cancun 4 times and last time we stayed at the Melia Cancun. The hotel is hugh (too huge!). Although beautiful, it was built mainly for the architecture and for guest accessibility. If you go there make sure you don't get stuck in one of the outer buildings - you have to walk what seems like a mile just to get the to front desk, pool, etc.
The rooms are beautiful with bidets in bathrooms, etc. I didn't like the beach there- waves on that stretch of beach pound you to death and the red flags are always up. Its better to stay up towards the 4-7 mile on Kulkakan Blvd. around where the Intercontinental Plaza, Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach, are. The beach is protected by the Isla Mujueres so it is calm there and you can swim. The Melia is not very close to anything , Kulkakan Plaza is about a mile from the hotel for shopping and eating if you want. Anyway, I would recommend staying up towards the top of the island. We also found a great grocery store where locals shop and we used the mini fridge and a bucket full of ice to keep our stuff cold (cost effective at Melia because prices are out of this world. THe grocery store is called Mexicana Commercial - everybody knows where it is - just ask. If you have any more questions, feel free to email me.