Reload this Page >

Prices in Costa Rica - - Food, Clubs, Activities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 07:55 AM
Leah Ginivan

My boyfriend and I will be in Costa Rica in Quepos for 2 weeks. The hotel and car have been taken care of already, but we'd like to know what prices are like there such as food, the clubs, activities like rafting, horseback riding, etc. so we know how much cash to carry. Thanks. Our trip is on June 22 for 2 weeks.

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 11:52 AM
John Cordill

My wife and I spent two weeks in CR this past March and we enjoyed it. Most of our time was spent in and around San Jose and we do recommend it. We ventured to the west coast late in the trip and spent one nite in Jaco at the Best Western. Prices were somewhat higher on the west coast than around San Jose. CR is not an inexpensive place to visit as it once was. Recommend that you try to see the Arenal Volcano. Stay there a couple of days so that you get to see it. We stayed at Tobacon Lodge and it was very fine. Also, don't miss the trip thru the Rainforrest on the tram. Be sure to go early in the morning when the birds and animals are active. Manuel Antonio was closed the Monday we were on the Coast but know you will enjoy that. The road from Jaco to San Jose is Ok but slow because of the hills and curves thru the mountains but most of the other roads we saw were so full of potholes they were VERY slow and rough. We did not rent a car and used bus and van transportation. Best Western runs a good van service from San Jose to Arenal and to the west coast. Our favorite place to stay was the Hotel Bouganvillia just nnorth of San Jose. <BR>Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 03:32 PM
Diane

check out www.costaricapages.com The Tico Times is an English language newspaper that carries travel columns with prices.

Old Jul 3rd, 1999, 02:53 PM
Barry

<BR>Ditto everything John said. We spent nine days at the Bougainvilla and took day trips around San Jose and surrounding towns and sites.We used a combination of intercity buses and guided tours. Tour services are a bit pricey, but restaurants,cabs, museums, etc. are quite inexpensive. (My wife and I had a delightful day in Cartago for a total of about $20 tops.) <BR>Credit cards are accepted almost universally, so not much need to carry a lot of cash. Enjoy!

Old Jul 3rd, 1999, 02:53 PM
Barry

<BR>Ditto everything John said. We spent nine days at the Bougainvilla and took day trips around San Jose and surrounding towns and sites.We used a combination of intercity buses and guided tours. Tour services are a bit pricey, but restaurants,cabs, museums, etc. are quite inexpensive. (My wife and I had a delightful day in Cartago for a total of about $20 tops.) <BR>Credit cards are accepted almost universally, so not much need to carry a lot of cash. Enjoy!