Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   souvenirs to bring home from Argentina (BA specifically) (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/souvenirs-to-bring-home-from-argentina-ba-specifically-275842/)

flygirl Nov 25th, 2002 03:51 PM

souvenirs to bring home from Argentina (BA specifically)

Hello all, <BR><BR>trying to figure out what I might like to bring home with me. I will also be decorating a new apartment from scratch so home items would be nice too!<BR><BR>clothing, ANY sort of household decorative items, jewelry - what should I look for?

marta Nov 26th, 2002 04:37 AM

Flygirl,<BR>You will find great original stuff to decorate your new home in San Telmo:the Plaza Dorrego has an antiques fair and a flea market. The flea market has everything, and the prices are very good. There is a little store dedicated to the Argentine indian art, with unique work to decorate your home, specially the cushions and knit stuff. The address escapes me, I will look it up. <BR><BR>You can also check the Tigre huge craft market, this is a side trip that you can combine with a boat trip in the Parana River Delta, and return with the Coastal Train. E-mail me for more info.<BR>

T Nov 26th, 2002 04:41 AM

Mate and a cup for drinking mate out of.

Doc Nov 26th, 2002 10:32 AM

We were in Argentina early this year (late February) and spent several days in BA prior to a cruise. We got a very good buy on some cashmere sweaters. Leather products were also inviting, but we resisted. Owing to the monetary problems there, one might encounter problems. Actually we bought sweaters using a personal check with a credit card as a reference. US currency was also widely accepted.

flygirl Aug 28th, 2003 05:32 AM

Marta - I no longer have a way to email you. Could you email me? Your email address is hidden now...

thanks!

jacki Jan 10th, 2004 02:55 PM

where is the tigre craft market &amp; what days are they open email me [email protected]

Seab Sep 1st, 2005 09:28 AM

Please let us know about El Tigre craft market and the Delta Tour.Thanks

hellagirl Sep 1st, 2005 09:58 AM

The fair in Tigre runs every day but on week-ends they are much more lively and there are more thing to but and watch.

The name is &quot;Mercado de frutos y flores&quot; I think and it is in Tigre, Buenos Aires Province. Travel Agents must provide transfers there, otherwise you can take a cab or the train. Once in Tigre, the market will be in front of your eyes, if not ask anyone, everyone there knows.

There are lots of crafs to buy!

Plaza Francia in Recoleta has a crafts fair with many interesting thing too (only week-ends)

santiagov Sep 1st, 2005 12:46 PM

This link might help

http://www.welcomeargentina.com/tigre/outings.html

msteacher Sep 1st, 2005 03:41 PM

Leather!

leah6 Sep 2nd, 2005 04:23 AM

There is a shopping area in the Recolata area that has great leather placemates and other items. Also purchased leather jackets at Mario... close to the marriott hotel on Florida street.

Sebastian77 Nov 25th, 2011 12:27 PM

Sorry if my english isn{t much better, I'm french...aren't we famous for speaking foreign languages in an uggly way?
Anyway, there is a shop in Palermo in Buenos Aires which sell argentinian designed product. I mean simple products as mate, T-Shirt, cufflink and so on. It's really nice what there are doing.
It's located on the street Gorriti just next to the resaurant Olsen (which I higly recommand).
I prefer product that aren't limited in the time, I mean food. Of course I enjoy the Dulce de Leche but after 1 week 1 kilo is gone (yes I'm greedy).

condu Dec 1st, 2011 06:42 AM

Good gift ideas from TA

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-..._District.html

trolldoll Dec 4th, 2011 02:22 PM

the markets in calle dorrego in palermo (not the markets in san telmo this a different area) has some great art and also beautiful old chandeleirs all under the one roof..
shoes are fantastic all the way up avienda sante fe
leather handbags
great shops in palermo soho
but other than that ... clothing not particularly good quality.
markets in the streets on the weekend around palermo soho.. cute stuff too.ie. great dog coats, jewellery, more art, bit and pieces
great restaurants everywhere...

trolldoll Dec 4th, 2011 02:23 PM

oh and a shop in palermo soho called calma chica which has great stuff all made from cow hide and super cheap... stiched cow hide rugs, ipod covers, belts, chairs .. you name it they have it made in hide ...

condu Dec 15th, 2011 08:24 AM

"The souvenirs to bring home from BA" My sister "specifically" requested 2 big boxes of mate tea and 10 pkgs of grapefruit jello. Go figure!

MarnieWDC Dec 15th, 2011 11:02 AM

Has anyone noticed the dates of the OP's post and those several that followed over the next several years ? I hope the OP is planning a next visit to BsAs and will benefit from the current gift ideas presented in these more recent posts...LOL !

condu Dec 15th, 2011 08:15 PM

Yes, Marnie, I was aware of the diverse dates when I added my 2 posts. My additions where meant for travelers that were reading these posts for inspiration.

This is one of the eternal questions. What should I buy my family & friends to express the diversity, charm, uniqueness, etc. of BA, (or any other special places visited) the place that I have fallen in love with? To express the visceral passion of this place to the people back home in the form of a gift is very difficult. I know I struggled with this on my first visit to BA. I hope that on my second visit that I can get some more help from this forum on gifts that express what made BA special to me. Have you any suggestions? I know you have been to BA, many times & are very astute.:)

MarnieWDC Dec 16th, 2011 07:32 AM

Thank you for the follow-up, Condu.

I considered several of the earliest posts on this thread to be out-of-date in terms of quality of certain goods available and their relative costs - particularly considering today's prices and the inflation in Argentina. Thus, perhaps a bit misleading for visitors. I thought a newer thread on this interesting subject could be more up-to-date and thus more helpful for visitors. That was my objective.

condu Dec 20th, 2011 06:58 AM

Marnie: I agree with everything you said.:)

There were some interesting gift suggestions added to this post Dec 2011. I will start a new thread for more (hopefully) answers.