Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Some suggestions for Mayan Riveria (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/some-suggestions-for-mayan-riveria-1069041/)

docdan Aug 17th, 2015 06:41 PM

Some suggestions for Mayan Riveria

Family and I have traveled about 8 times now to Cancun and Playa del Carmen and I have received a suggestion to post some activity ideas i do commend:
1. Xplor http://www.xplor.travel/ Attention Zip line junkies!
About 5 miles south of P de C, lots of Zip lines, a 4X4 amphib ride, plenty of swimming, and a fabulous all-you can eat lunch. DD and I have learn to HATE all-you -can-eat lunches, but this one is different. the food is amazingly good and kept fresh. BTW, this is an all day affair, with no alcohol on premises.
2. Xoximilco http://www.xoximilco.com/ just south of the Airport on the main drag.
This is brand new and very, very popular with locals and non-Mexican Hispanic tourists. basically, you get on this barge and they take you around this lagoon where they serve different regional styles of cuisine, and then serenade you with different regional styles of music from different bands. Dancing on the barge is encouraged; mind you this is not a large barge and remaining on-board with people seriously partying is a challenge. Unlike #1, this is an evening out with all-you-can-swill beer and tequilla. If you can maintain some sobriety at first, you will really enjoy watching the rest of your party make complete fools of themselves, while having the time of their lives. Wait! Wait! No, it is not just a dumb, silly drunken orgy like you can see at Senor Frogs, no this is actually a good time that has some meaning behind the experience. I wholeheartedly recommend this experience, even to tee-totallers.
3. Joya - Cirque de Soleil - actually NOT recommended, unless you are an absolute CdS junkie. This is half way from Cancun to Pde C. the actual show is only one hour and IS, admittedly, very good. But they promote a basic "show ticket"and you get sucky seats, for just under $100, then they add higher levels of junk like show and champaigne, dinner and show, etc. for Substantial higher prices, which is the only way to get a decent seat. After that, then you have to walk over a half mile from the "entrance" past CdS gift shops, bars and restaurants, and trust me, this is not an outlet mall - notice my use of the pleural here - SHOPS and SHOPS, just to get to your seat. Too much investment of time and money for just an hour show. But as I said, if you want to see a nice CdS show, it is a nice hour.
4. 1/2 day cruise from Puerto Aventuras marina. (1/2 hour south of P de C) http://www.h2ohcruises.com/
a very nice boat that can be hired as a private charter, but they also have periodic scheduled cruises one can buy individual tickets for. Snorkeling, Karaoke, sightseeing swimming. Just a very laid back , enjoyable time.

Sorry, those are not in order. 1 and 2 are highly recommended. the boat ride is recommended but may be too pricey for some. The CdS show was not, IMO, any kind of value.

kja Aug 17th, 2015 08:07 PM

It's nice of you to provide this info, docdan!

Because its info you are sharing, rather than info you are seeking, you might ask the moderators to mark it as a trip report. You can contact them by clicking on the triangle (which is not JUST for reporting abuse).

SambaChula Aug 18th, 2015 05:55 AM

It's so heartening to know that we can travel to the Yucatan and have the culture interpreted for us as tourists. Float the canals at a pristine theme park and not have to do so in the wilds of the Sian Ka'an or a cenote. Zip line over the jungle and not have to put feet down in the dirt of one surrounding a Maya ruin like Ek Balam. Eat "local" food cooked for a tourist's palate. I'm making my reservations today!

zootsi Aug 18th, 2015 06:09 AM

I'm not trying to denigrate your suggestions - I'm sure many would enjoy them. I personally feel these disneylike attractions are turning the whole Mayan Riviera into a tourist trap of fakeness. I much prefer enjoying the beach, snorkeling, visiting small cenotes in the jungle, and interacting with the locals on their own turf.

docdan Aug 18th, 2015 01:40 PM

Ok, . . . I certainly concur these are not homegrown "authentic" Mayan originals, but in the context of a Cancun where some of the biggest attractions are Senior Frogs, Pat O'Briens, and Hard Rock Cafe, they are worth mentioning. They have also been developed with the encouragement of the Federal and Q.Roo development authorities. If you want an authentic Mexican experience, flying into Cancun Int'l may not be a wise first choice. Yeesh!

AlysonRR Aug 18th, 2015 07:02 PM

Thanks, docdan :-)

RAC Aug 19th, 2015 06:50 AM

There are plenty of authentic experiences to be had in the Riviera Maya. Sian Ka'an, all of the ruins (even Chichen Itza and Tulum, though heavily touristed, are still the real thing), the various cenotes, snorkeling off the beach in places like Akumal, or in Yalku, etc etc.

If a person is staying in Cancun and wants a theme park experience, I'd recommend Xcaret.

SambaChula Aug 20th, 2015 09:11 AM

If you want an authentic Mexican experience, flying into Cancun Int'l may not be a wise first choice. Yeesh!"

Really?
Flying into Cancun Int'l to start a trip around the Yucatan is certainly one way to a very authentic Mexican experience. In fact, when we go, we usually don't speak or even hear a word of English for the whole trip. It's quite possible to stay away from other foreign tourists, let alone plastic theme park representations of the authentic Mayan culture that you can easily be surrounded by (if that's the experience you are looking for).

docdan Aug 20th, 2015 05:01 PM

Ok, this is a travel forum - it is a forum where travelers can post "I did this and I liked it" or "I did that and it sucked". My comments were intended to convey those impressions - nothing more and nothing less. I did not, nor is it the intent of this forum, intend to speak to the broader question of authenticity of one experience vs. another nor the adverse social impact that tourism may have on indigenous culture and our ability to look into such culture. I, and my family, had three good experiences I thought worth mentioning and one bad one worth mentioning, while in Q.Roo, and I have described my impressions herein. Within that context, I stand by my comments. If you wish to ignore these comments, pleased ignore them. The venues described, contrived or not, are THERE, they EXIST, they are attracting crowds, and prospering, whether Docdan likes them or not, and whether travel-elitist-snobs approve of their existance or not. If you feel these venues are negatively impacting the "Authentic" Mexican experience, I suggest this is not the right forum to vent your frustrations into.

RAC Aug 20th, 2015 05:51 PM

This is a forum for people to provide advice and opinions. Opinions will differ.

Your post caused others, self included, to discuss other worthy options. Nothing wrong with that.

docdan Aug 21st, 2015 09:05 AM

RAC - point well taken - I felt some of the others posting on this thread had a bit too much of a judgmental tone. Yes, Nothing wrong with respectfully agreeing to disagree.
dg

zootsi Aug 21st, 2015 10:01 AM

docdan, perhaps I was being too judgemental. Your write up was well done, even if it's not my cup of tea.

Rohelio Aug 22nd, 2015 06:27 PM

docdan... I must commend you sir for taking the time to share your experiences, you sound like a young boy who just came back from his first fishing trip having caught a huge trout. Good for you and keep on publishing your adventures on this web site for all to share. We own a condo in Puerto Aventuras and have been in the area a good many times, this said, your article reminds me of the first times we were in Playa in the year 2000.
We were full of energy and vigour and wanted to tell the world about it. Yes, times have changed and so have we, but thanks to you, some of us need to be reminded that the Yucatan holds an amazing feeling of energy and excitement that we all have felt at one time or another... this includes the travel elitist snobs that have forgotten what it is to have fun !!!!
God bless :)