Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Solo Girl Travels in Guatemala? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/solo-girl-travels-in-guatemala-813152/)

OutToLearn Nov 4th, 2009 03:25 PM

Solo Girl Travels in Guatemala?

I'm planning to move to Guatemala for a couple of months next summer or fall to study Spanish, and it looks like I will be going out on my own. Is this a terrible idea? I speak enough spanish to get from point a to point b, to ask for help, and to purchase things (high school spanish, basically, it's just been a few years). Is this a totally crazy idea? People I know tend to think so- I'm young, blond, pale, and fairly attracticve. But I've been to Guatemala once before briefly, as a side trip from Belize. I studied abroad in Ghana, so I'd used to being alone and experienced in dealing with aggressive men. Does anyone have any tips or advise for me?

Thanks!

cgenster Nov 4th, 2009 03:56 PM

I was there this summer and met a young woman from Holland. She was on her own, young, blond, pale and fairly attractive and was studying in San Pedro La Laguna for four weeks and then going to work with disabled children in a town outside of Antigua. She was probably 18-20 years old and doing just fine.

I would recommend doing a homestay and relying on your family to tell you when it is safe for you to be walking around on your own.

Latin American man are known for being macho and somewhat aggressive, our group experienced some of this at a concert we went to in Antigua. But if you are smart and careful, you shouldn't have a problem. For the most part all the locals I met were very respectful and helpful.

Good luck and keep us posted.

hopefulist Nov 4th, 2009 04:52 PM

I think it's a GREAT idea! I've studied in immersion programs in Honduras or Guatemala each of the last 5 summers; below is a link to my photos with travelogue/blog links on the main page of each collection. There are school recommendations there; let me know if you have questions I can help with or if you're interested in getting university credit for your immersion school work.

http://flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

qwovadis Nov 5th, 2009 03:43 AM

www.travel.state.gov Guatemala

overall safe in tourist areas if careful

on another board recent robbery of tourist shuttle

going to Tikal so stick with big deluxe bus if possible

travel in AM money belt buddy system no bling top hostels etc.

www.blackcathostels.net

www.lacasadelmundo.com my fav Atitlan good schools

in that area...

Be careful have fun,

OutToLearn Nov 11th, 2009 07:01 AM

Thank you so much for all of your input! Hearing from people who've actually been there alone or met people is heartening. I think my family harbors many old assumptions about Central America. Guidebooks are also telling me it's one of the best places for women to go alone. Hopefulist, I loved your photos!

hopefulist Nov 11th, 2009 07:36 AM

Thanks! I love them, too. :D

Here are some safety suggestions from a previous post. Looking forward to hearing about your plans!

---------------

Sometimes I travel alone, sometimes with one or more of my kids and/or my husband, sometimes with a group in tow. I don't feel overly paranoid but have never had a problem and would like to keep it that way.

Here are my concessions to safety when I travel in Central America:
:: I avoid the big cities as much as possible
:: I don't "party"
:: Where recommended I take specific transportation (Hedman Alas in Honduras, for example, or avoiding chicken buses on the mountain runs in Guatemala, taxis after dark)
:: I know where I am and where I'm headed
:: I don't wear jewelry (not even my wedding band) and try not to flash camera equipment or money around
:: Some trips I carry a “throw down wallet” with an expired card or 2 and the day’s cash in it
:: I keep important documents and cash under my clothes (except what I need for shopping, buses, etc. for that time period)
:: I ask locals about safety in an area - evenings, hiking, etc.
:: I travel really light so I don't feel vulnerable getting my bag off and on buses, shuttles, etc.
:: I continue to build skills in Spanish