Search

Solo Female backpacker

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2012, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solo Female backpacker

I am a 24 year old married female looking to travel through central America. My husband does not want to go with me on this trip, and I have never backpacked alone! I have traveled to Mexico and the carribean with family and backpacked Europe with my husband. All my friends and family are concerned about crimes and kidnappings. I consider myself to have a good head on my shoulders, but I would love to hear information from people (preferrably solo females) that have recently traveled to these areas. Right now I'm looking at flying into Belize and making my way down through Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and flying home out of Costa rica. It's looking like I will have about 4-5 weeks.

Is it easy to meet up with fellow travelers in these areas to tag along with?

Any major areas to avoid?

Is 4-5 weeks enough time to travel this distance?

How are border crossings?

What shots/immunizations are required/suggested?

Can I make this trip safely on my own or am I totally loco?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 04:17 PM

some areas in central america may or may not be safe for a young woman traveling by herself, but it is hard to tell when and where something may happen or be actually unsafe...so I would recomend to stay in hostels an travel in groups, there are always people with more expertise on this subjects...and those hang out in hostels ans so...I believe malaria is the main concerning for local authorities, so you better get that one shot for sure...I believe the time limit is not really an issue, but you have to choose wisely how long you wnat to stay in what places so you can really see all what you have planned.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 10:08 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd try reading and posting over on www.lonelyplanet.com and go to The Thorn Tree forum for CA. There aren't many (any?) solo female backpackers who post here on Fodor's that I nkow of.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 11:38 AM

I travel every summer to Guatemala, usually with a few weeks in either Belize or Honduras tacked on. Here are my personal safety guidelines:

Sometimes I travel alone, sometimes with one or more of my kids and/or my husband, sometimes with a group in tow. I don't feel overly paranoid but have never had a problem and would like to keep it that way.

Here are my concessions to safety when I travel in Central America:
:: I avoid the big cities as much as possible
:: I don't "party"
:: Where recommended I take specific transportation (ex: Hedman Alas in Honduras, avoid chicken buses on the mountain runs in Guatemala, take taxis after dark)
:: I know where I am and where I'm headed and make major transitions with plenty of daylight left
:: I don't wear jewelry (not even my wedding band) and try not to flash camera equipment or money around
:: Some trips I carry a “throw down wallet” with an expired card or 2 and the day’s cash in it
:: I keep important documents and cash under my clothes (except what I need for shopping, buses, etc. for that time period) and keep close watch on my things, especially in crowded places and when I’m tired
:: I ask locals about safety in an area - evenings, hiking, etc.
:: I travel really light so I don't feel vulnerable getting my bag off and on buses, shuttles, etc.
:: I continue to build skills in Spanish

I think that 2 countries or maybe bits of 3 is plenty for 4-5 weeks. This summer I'm splitting 6 weeks between Guatemala and Belize, return trips to both. I'd recommend you start in Guatemala and then choose either Honduras or Belize - you will not run out of cool things to do.

Trying to do 5 countries in 4 or 5 weeks means less than a week per country; you'd spend far too much time sitting on buses which will hugely reduce what you actually get to see and do on your trip. It's also more expensive and could be less safe since the major bus routes go between large cities which are usually best avoided or minimized.

Here's the CDC site for travelers - each country has a page. There's no shot for malaria but the CDC may recommend the pills depending on your itinerary.

I'm a solo female backpacker. I travel alone for a week or 2 each summer and like traveling by myself, though I enjoy leading groups and traveling with my husband, too. I don't love staying in hostel dorms anymore though it can be a good way to meet other travelers; I prefer clean, safe budget to midrange lodging with private rooms, usually available for under $20/night in the countries I name.

You might also consider spending a week or 2 in a good Spanish school at the start of your trip. It's an awesome way to meet other travelers, the added Spanish will make the rest of your trip more memorable (though Spanish isn't as useful in Belize), you could live with a local family, and it's incredibly inexpensive. Let me know if you'd like more information about that.

The forum on the Lonely Planet is called the Thorntree forum and here's a link:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...spa?forumID=12

I wouldn't bother posting your question there, frankly - your questions get asked so often the regulars don't always respond in a friendly way. Try searching, there, though - lots of great information has already been written.

You're not totally loco but I would definitely scale back the number of countries you plan to visit so you can have a safer, more enjoyable adventure. Happy trails!
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 12:03 PM

I spent a few months as a single female backpacker in Guatemala last year. I'd take Hopefulists' suggestion about starting off with a week or two at Spanish school (preferably, IMHO, st the Cooperativa School in Guate) it's a great jumping off point and you should easily make friends, find out who's been where, what they thought of it, and maybe find some travel buddies. This is what I, and may others I met, did, and we not only had a blast, but made some lifelong friends from around the world.

I'm planning to head back to Central America later this year. It gets under your skin in a good way.