Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   So what's wrong with Cabo? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/so-whats-wrong-with-cabo-231084/)

nina Jun 14th, 2002 10:49 AM

So what's wrong with Cabo?

Just curious, I've read inferences of negativity towards Cabo. Everyone I know who's been there has loved it. These aren't ill-traveled people, but people who have traveled all over the world. They tell me nothing but good things about it. They've stayed at Ventanas, Palmilla, Hotel Cabo San Lucas and Hotel Twin Dolphin. I'm wondering why there seem to be people here saying Cabo is "a dump". I'm not sure I understand why their experience was so different.<BR><BR>So, before I take the plunge and book there, I'd like to know specifically what some (or many, it seems), of you don't like about Cabo. A vacation is too expensive to make the wrong choice in a destination. We are a family of 4 with 2 boys, ages 9 and 12 and are considering Cabo for our next winters vacation. Thanks for the insight.

Young boys Jun 14th, 2002 11:16 AM

Nina you better read for archives<BR><BR>http://wsgforum.com/

Dave Jun 14th, 2002 02:22 PM

I hear Las Ventanas is amazing. Any info?

anony Jun 15th, 2002 06:51 PM

Do a google search and put in timeshare scams in Cabo.<BR><BR>1. Must read Latin Trade on p.2 "Timeshare Hell"<BR>2. ABc News plus on the web page more on the story timeshare scams. open it up Claims and realties.<BR>3. USA today

nina Jun 26th, 2002 07:15 AM

Thanks for the replies, I just got back from Punta Cana (which was fabulous, by the way). It seems that you will find sleaze if you look for it. One of the most gorgeous beaches I've been to in the world is in Phuket, Thailand, which also has lots of prostitutes, if you go looking. Since we didn't venture out for that type of activity, and stuck to our nice resort, we didn't encounter the bad stuff. I have to believe that's true of most places.

sara Jun 26th, 2002 01:48 PM

Nina, I have to agree with your friend's opinions on Cabo and your observation about finding sleeze anyplace if you look for it. Paris had it but we loved Paris. New Orleans had it but we had a great time there. New York, St. Croix, Costa Rica, Italy. Etc. etc... We love Cabo and have also traveled extensively. It's a close three day vacation for us so we go down about once a year. I wonder why it's often the exact same people that comment negitively regarding Cabo on this board?

Noshillme Jun 26th, 2002 05:23 PM

So let me get this right. You go to Thailand and find the one beach area with sleeze and that is where you stay.<BR>Not only stay but stay locked up in your hotel. Well Thailand like Mexico has wonderful places to visit. I agree in any country you can find a shithole.<BR><BR>Every Country does have a Shithole mind most are just drunk tourist excursions not full of hookers, pushers, sleeze and hawkers.<BR><BR>Yes big cities do have a red light district but you cannot justify or compare that to a town like Cabo where the town is 7 or 8 blocks long. In big cities you can avoid the sleeze in Cabo it is not so easy it is all over their streets. <BR><BR>As I said there are many wonderful places in the world to visit and you do not need to spend the money they are asking to visit a Shithole. (in my opinion.)

nina Jun 28th, 2002 10:35 AM

Noshill,<BR><BR>No, You did not "get this right". We did not find "The one beach area with sleaze (not sleeze)." We stayed in a veritable paradise of a beach area, but as most well traveled folks know, in addition to it's incomparable beaches Thailand is known for it's wide availability of prosititution. We also did not stay locked up in our hotel. We went on jungle treks, elephant rides, river rafting, mountain biking, boating to the Phi-Phi islands, to dinner at great restaurants etc, etc, etc. We did not go in search of prostitution, and therefore did not see any. However, If we had any interest it would have been easily accesable. Despite that it had the most beautiful beaches and islands I've ever seen in my considerable travels.<BR><BR>When traveling you take the good with the bad. Sara I share your opinions. I love Paris too. A little "local color" is an integral part of traveling. How anyone can refer to a trip at a top resort with lots of sports and daytime activites as a "shithole" can only lead me to believe that they spent most of their time in said sleazy areas rather than looking for the scenery and surrounding smaller towns still unscathed.

A top resort Jun 28th, 2002 03:05 PM

Cabo is anything but a top resort. A timeshare pit stop more like it.<BR>So the developers came down and decided to cash in on the destruction of a tiny fishing village and some wonderful scenery. Yeah they brought in the strip bars and built Mcdonalds and Burger Kings and betting parlors not hard to miss it next to any tourist waterhole. In fact the hookers and pimps and pushers are working outside and inside of a number of tourist bars. <BR>Trashed out Sh!thole is an appropriate word for it.<BR><BR>What culture that was there has been disintagrated due to what has taken place in the name of developement. If I wanted a trashed out part of San Diego I would have gone there.