Snorkeling Options in Mazatlan, PV and Riviera Maya

Old Oct 11th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snorkeling Options in Mazatlan, PV and Riviera Maya

I'm tentatively planning a long weekend trip to Mexico next Jan-Feb, and would like a place where I could try some snorkeling (total beginner). I know the possibilities around Playa del Carmen, etc., but was kind of interested in a change since I was just in that area last year.

I've been to Puerto Vallarta and liked it, but didn't check into that when I was there so don't know if there is any decent snorkeling around there in comparison to Cozumel, etc. area or how far away it is.

I've sort of been interested in going to Mazatlan for something new, but am pretty sure there is no decent snorkeling around there from what I've read. Is that true?
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 02:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
snorkeling in and around PV is not very good, definitely not in the same league as the Caribbean side that's for sure
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 04:00 PM

For that area Mahajuitas is supposedly a nice day trip with good but not great snorkeling .....
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 04:52 AM
Pausanias

Consider Ambergris Caye in Belize. Laid back town, San Pedro, with excellent snorkeling nearby. Just down the beach from Mexico.

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

thanks, Suze, even though I had read about some snorkeling in PV (some island maybe a little south of it?), I thought it really wasn't like the Caribbean. Is Majuitas one of those (I'm not sure where it is).

thanks for tip, but I'm not remotely interested in Belize, if I wanted to go in that area, I'd stay in Mexico.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think it is a resort to the south of PV, I'm not sure if it is an island or on the mainland. Maybe same as Yelapa which you can only get to by boat, even though it is on the coast?

There are certainly loads of snorkeling boat tours offered but people seem generally disappointed with conditions they found. More like "it was a fun day even if the snorkeling stunk".

I love Puerto Vallarta dearly and visit often so don't take this as discouragement from me, just don't expect great snorkeling or diving.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 02:21 PM

Mahajuitas (sp.) is a small boutique resort to the south of P.V. , a beach area you get to by boat as Suze said . I have read the snorkel tours are taken here as vis. is usually good with lots of fish etc.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 07:44 PM

Have snorkeled all three locations. Mazatlan & P.V. don't come close to the Riviera Maya region. If you must snorkel in Mazatlan, take a tour boat to Deer Island.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

thanks all -- I've been to Puerto Vallarta before and like it, so I know what it's like in general. The Gulf coast does have the advantage of being a closer trip for me, also, and I'm not going to have a lot of time for this trip. I can fly to Cancun from DC nonstop and then get south somehow, whereas Mazatlan and PV take a lot more time (espec Mazatlan, no good flight times back). Of course, I'm no snorkeling buff, so maybe just a little and a fun trip would suit my purposes.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 07:08 AM

Christina,
My husband and I are heading back to the Mayan Caribbean in Jan. My first trip to Playa was in '99 and returned with my sweetie in '04. We stayed (and will again) at the Pelicano Inn at Calle 8 and the beach. So nice to have breakfast right there on the beach, then walk a mile or so up the beach (north), where civilization thins out and the reef comes in close, to snorkel from shore. And plenty of places to stop for a Margarita on the way back to the hotel. Avenida 5 is right there a block up from the beach with plenty of restaurants and shops -- the south end being more old Playa, the north end rather ridiculously new. (There was even a rooftop bar that showed old movies, sans sound, on the wall while people lounge on beds!) Anyway, for a short vacation, Playa is quick and easy to get to, the snorkeling is close and free and there're plenty of hotels and restaurants to choose from. BTW we're flying out of D.C. also, heading to Akumal for 5 nights then up to Playa for 4 nights. Never been to Akumal, but I hear the snorkeling is great!
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 04:38 PM

Cozumel is a must for snorkeling.. just absolutely wonderful, and I'm a little nervous in the water. We snorkeled at several locations on the Mayan Riviera.

Feel free to e-mail me if you'd like pictures. I have a huge online album. The Mayan Riviera is a beautiful place and I would go back in an instant!

Marysa
[email protected]
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 04:03 PM

This may come across a little snobish- but it goes. I have been all over Mexico- PV, Cozumel, Cancun, but the absolute best snokeling is off the Pacific side from the Hualtulco resort area. The ocean floor is beyond magnificent- there are beautiful fish, eels, coral in every size shape and color. This resort is still relatively unknown and the area is now a national park- for snokeling - it is a MUST do. I say that after snokeling around Mexico and the globe.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 08:06 AM

We have been going to the Riveria Maya for a number of years and love to go snorkeling off the Akumal Beach area. It is very good for beginners and there is a nice beach with decent places to eat, Lol Ha bar, showers, toliets and such. They also have a dive shop that will take to to some good reef areas. If you enter at the Akumal Arch and turn to the left follow to the end of the road on the left there is a nice little lagoon with a lot of great fish to see. There is a parking area for a small fee, snack shop,eco toliets and a shower to rinse off (Please don't wear sunscreen in the lagoon).
The snorkeling at Xel-ha is really good if you can avoid the crowds get there early in the AM before the buses from Cancun pull in.
We also like the snorkeling off Isla Muheres take the day ferry from the Cancun Bay next to the Casa Maya Hotel. Last time we went there it was getting a little pricey though.
PV and Mazatlan does not have very good snorkeling, just my opinion.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

hi, some more posts I see. Well, I postponed my trip for Thanksgiving, and that turned out to be lucky due to the storm damage. So I am thinking now maybe south of Playa del Carmen would work (Akumel) for Feb or so, as I don't believe they've had damage there.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, but I've been to Playa del Carmen and Cozumel and know about them and what they are like. I don't really want to go back to Playa del Carmen that much. The beach isn't that nice right at the town and there aren't very good facilities there.