snorkeling in Puerto Vallarta

Old Jul 9th, 1999, 04:50 PM
Cindy

snorkeling in Puerto Vallarta

I would like to know what the water is like in Puerto Vallarta for snorkeling? Is it safe to swim or does it have an undertow like Cancun. Also is the water as warm as in the Caribbean Sea.

Old Jul 10th, 1999, 03:16 AM
Pancho

I went snorkeling once and it was a major disappointment. The water is typical Pacific ocean. Not very clear and no sea life. The water is fairly warm but it is murky. It is safe in most areas but there are many reports of the bay being very polluted. I would definitely NOT go to Puerto Vallarta if snorkeling is your main interest.

Old Jul 10th, 1999, 07:18 AM
Richard James

Cindy,
I disagree with Pancho. I am part owner of a resort about 13 miles south of Puerto Vallarta, and we started this resort because of the excellent snorkeling and diving available. We experience many varied sea life forms and colorful tropical fish and corals in generally clear water. Please e-mail me for more info.
Thanks, Dick James

Old Jul 10th, 1999, 03:33 PM
PT

Hola! I also disagree with Pancho! No, you definitely are not in the Carribean and the water is nothing like that side of Mexico. But further out in the bay, towards the Marieta Islands there is some great snorkeling and also diving. Please email me direct for more information as we have snorkeling tours. Gracias!

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 08:07 AM
Pancho

We are talking relativity here regarding sea life and snorkeling. I personally love Puerto Vallarta and would choose it as my desitnation but NOT for snorkeling. It just does not begin to compare to the warmer clearer waters found elsewhere. The best areas for snorkeling are of course where there are live reefs.

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 04:19 PM
Cindy

To Dick James:

What is the name of your resort & where are you located? It is near Nuevo Vallarta?

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 12:30 PM
DeLeta

Hi Cindy,

I have been to Puerto Vallarta 5 times in the last 3 years and have another trip scheduled for November. Regarding snorkeling, it will not be like the Caribbean but you can still see fish, depending on the location. Close to Puerto Vallarta is Los Arcos, which is where most snorkelers are taken. Visibility varies but is best in the summer and fall. The Marietas Islands are much further out (about an hour by boat) but they have a lot of fish life around the rocky islands. The Vallarta Adventure Co. has a BIG boat that takes up to 80 or more people out for the day. It leaves at 9:00 a.m. and returns at 4:00 p.m. Continental breakfast is served and once you get to the Marietas Islands, you can snorkel or sea kayak while some people do scuba diving and others just hang out on the boat. Lunch is served an an open bar and the crew is very good at coming up with games for everyone. If you don't want quite the big "party boat" feeling, try Twin Dolphins dive shop. He will take people out snorkeling to various locations and is a very knowledgeable person about the bay. The owner's name is Giovanni Macedo and his website is: www.twindolphins.com.mx. His e-mail address is: [email protected].

As someone else mentioned in a post, try going out of the PV area. Get some locals recommendations for safe beach areas to try for snorkeling.

Water temperatures are warm in the summer and up through the fall.

Besides, Puerto Vallarta is a beautiful, romantic city that captures your heart. There is SO much to see and do...exploring the town, mountain biking, renting a jeep or car and exploring...you will love it.

Please feel free to e-mail me if you want more information.

DeLeta