Search

Snorkeling in Belize

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snorkeling in Belize

We'd like to take 3 snorkeling trips. Since
we're staying in Caye Caulker for two nights, one would definitely be to Hol Chan/Shark Alley. Any thoughts on another snorkel trip from CC. We're also spending a day in the South, probably Hopkins. Are there any trips more suitable for departure from that area. One trip should be to the Barrier Reef, but I'm not sure whether that's better done from CC or the Sourth, or what the best locations would be.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 05:36 PM

We just returned from a 10 day trip to Belize and and we stayed in Ambergris Caye. Just about any place you go around there has fabulous snorkeling. You can book your trips when you get there so don't fret. It is all very laid back. Try to get on with a smaller organization or individual so you don't end up on a boat with 10 other people who have never snorkeled before in their lives. We did that on day and much preferred the tours with our hotel dive operator where it was just us and our guide. Have fun!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:45 AM

Hi Janie,
We are heading to Ambergris in 4 days and are looking at doing a lot of snorkling. We like the smaller tour operators over the big ones as well. would you mind telling me which hotel you booked through? Thanks
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 07:38 AM

When we were in Belize, we stayed only on the mainland so we did not get to experience Hol Chan, but we did our snorkling around Laughing Bird Caye (departure from Placencia). It was amazing! We got to see a lot of ocean life and some truely beautiful coral. However, though we did have a fairly small group, we got stuck with a group that had 2 very immature teenage boys that disrupted everyone's enjoyment (not to mention the parents were constantly screaming and yelling at them), and frankly put us all in danger with their carelessness. I know most times you can't really pick your group, but if you can afford a private trip (maybe even split the cost with another couple), it would probably be worth it.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 05:27 PM

Three years ago we stayed in Hopkins at Beaches & Dreams - a small family run place that had a couple of little duplexes. There was a little restaurant there and our meals were included. We rented a car and drove down from Belize City. The owner's son took us out to a couple of islands and reefs for snorkeling and diving. It was divine! I'll never forget getting PADI certified on my 48th birthday in Belize.
Here is the website:

http://www.beachesanddreams.com/
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 08:41 AM

Beaches and Dreams is now under new ownership. It's sorta up in the air what they are going to do, at least from what I gathered from one co-owner a few weeks ago. Maybe renovate, maybe move the old units. Guess there's going to be a new restaurant, as the co-owner (not the one I talked with) runs a restaurant in Alaska.

When I was there in December they weren't actually open.

--Lan Sluder
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:00 PM

Hi Canadianskigirl! I ski too! Sorry I took so long to reply. You have probably left already. Oh well, for everyone else's sake, here goes. We stayed at The Tides hotel and it has it's own dive shop, Patajo's. We did most of our tours through them. It is a small family run place. Very friendly, clean, and close to the town. It isn't a big glitzy place so you feel more connected with the locals. Everyone else there loved it and would definitely go back. On our last night there the owners, Sabrina and Patajo treated some of the guests to a free BBQ'd meal.