Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   snorkeling in belize (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/snorkeling-in-belize-337144/)

stephen2173 Jul 15th, 2003 07:58 AM

snorkeling in belize

I am trying to plan a vacation in February. I have just started looking at Belize and I am intrigued by all the interesting things to do there.

I was wondering about the beaches and snorkeling in Belize.

Any feedback would be great.

KatieValk Jul 15th, 2003 10:52 AM

World's 2nd largest barrier reef, World Heritage Site, we have 190 miles of reef, 3 coral ringed atolls and miles of patch coral reefs. Great marine life, including whale sharks at certain times of the year. Reef protudes thru the surface of the water for truly accessible snorkeling.

TC Jul 17th, 2003 06:45 PM

But you have to take a boat ride - which can be quite rough, through the cut in the reef to get to the snorkeling. There really isn't any to be done from shore at Ambergris. Some of the smaller islanders have better snorkeling, but no accomodations. I can't remember the name, but the island with the blue footed booby rookery had amazing snorkeling, but not much else. For easy shore snorkeling try Roatan, Honduras or Cozumel, Mexico.

ltt Jul 18th, 2003 06:22 AM

you can snorkel off beach at tabacco caye, south water caye and several others and there are accommodations. snorkeling from ambergris or caulker does require a boat ride but just give yourself some flexibility in days. plan on going the first full day you get there; if the water is rough go the next day. the snorkeling is wonderful. the best beaches in belize are down in placentia or hopkins and even then, they are nice but don't expect beaches like you see in the carribean islands travel brochures.

ags1 Jul 18th, 2003 11:50 AM

Went snorkeling last year off Ambergris, wasn't as great as we hoped, but we had a terrific time anyway. It's not the place if you want huge beaches and resorts like Cancun, but there's lots to do in Belize. Try staying a few days on Ambergris and doing a few snorkel trips and then going to a Jungle Lodge. Pook's Hill especially recommended, if you want great hikes, good food, and a low-key atmosphere (like being a house guest for some fabulous people).

Brian Jul 20th, 2003 03:16 PM

If you stay on Ambergris Caye, snorkeling trips by boat are easily arranged. Most operators go to two main areas - Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Mexico Rocks, once in the morning at 9:00 and again in the afternoon at 2:00. Both trips cost US$30. Hol Chan is a protected area and the fish tend to be larger. The Hol Chan trip usually involves a second stop at Shark Ray Alley, where you swim with nurse sharks and sting rays. Hol Chan is about 10 minutes from San Pedro, Ambergris Caye. Mexico Rocks is about 20 minutes from San Pedro.