snorkeling and golf in costa rica?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there regions/areas of costa rica that are more popular for golf and snorkeling? These are 2 things my husband really wants to do on our trip and we're still at the point of figuring out our itinerary.
Thanks
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 01:53 PM

lutherkins:
neither golf or snorkelling are great in CR. What regions are you going to visit?

guilpierre:
if youre going to advertise to a generally English speaking audience, its a good idea to be able to spell in English|
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

We're still trying to decide on our itinerary. We have 9 nights so were thinking of Arenal and MA, but would really like to visit guanacaste area if capable, especially if that would mean my husband would be able to snorkel and/or golf.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 06:52 AM

OK I am a golfer at home, but never play while on vacation out of the states.

Very few golf courses in CR. Los Suenos Marriott and Paradisus Playa Conchal both have golf courses.

As for snorkeling - This is the Pacific, so snorkeling will not be as crystal clear as it would be in the Caribbean. You will have more wave action and the water more cloudy. However, we have enjoyed our snorkel trips in CR. You should be able to find something most places along the coast.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 06:56 AM

Me again! Do you have 9 nights total in country? If so your arrival and departures times will come in to play. If you arrive late and opt to stay overnight near SJ, then you will most likely only have 7 nights for travel, which is best suited to 2 locations. However if you actually have 9 nights then you could do 3 nights each MA, North Pacific Coast and Arenal.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

dfarmer
Our flight times actually work out pretty nice. We get in at around noon so have plenty of time to travel outside of the city. But we leave at 12:45 to go back to the states, so should probably spend the night prior near San Jose somewhere, so I guess that means we have more like 8 nights to be away from the airport.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:32 PM

We went snorkeling two weeks ago as part of a whale watch/snorkeling combo trip off Ballena Island. The boat anchored just north of Ballena and we went over the side in about 20' of water for about an hour. As warned on this forum, visibility is a problem. Although you could see the bottom and plenty of fish - especially blue parrotfish - there was a lot of sand/silt in the water due to the nearby wave action. And don't plan on getting any good photos - the digital photos I took came out poorly. The bottom was a mixture of bland coral and rocks. After snorkeling in Maui last fall, this was sure different, but again, not unexpected. Everyone we spoke with, including our wonderful guide, said if you are going to snorkel on the Pacific side, go to Cano Island National Park, about 12 miles off the coast and a definite all-day trip. It is supposed to be spectaular. For us, live and learn, and wait until next time.
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 08:44 AM

Cano Island is one of the daytrips offered when you stay on the Drake Bay side of the Osa Peninsula. Looking forward to doing that one of these days--if I can EVER tear myself away from the Golfo Dulce side and the fabulous Bosque del Cabo!