Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   snbrkeling in Mexico (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/snbrkeling-in-mexico-151772/)

sharrie Jan 31st, 2002 05:34 AM

snbrkeling in Mexico

can you snorkel in Los Cabos? am thinking about a trip there to Las Ventanas. will we be able to snorkel anywhere around there? is it on the beach? sharrie

sharrie Jan 31st, 2002 06:53 AM

ooops... i meant to title this "snorkeling" in mexico

kk Jan 31st, 2002 06:54 AM

I was also thinkging about a trip to Las Ventanas but was worried that it would be too touristy in Los Cabos. Is this true? Is May a busy time? kk

texasgirl Jan 31st, 2002 07:40 PM

You can get short boat trips for snorkeling, either arrange through las ventanas or go to town and you can find plenty of trips there. snorkeling off the beach isn't really possible at lv, there just isn't much to see and the water is fairly rough. For what its worth, i don't think the snorkeling in los cabos is nearly as good as what you would see on the yucatan coast or the caribbean, so if you are expecting that you might be disappointed.<BR><BR>Las Ventanas is a beautiful resort, but yes, Cabo is very touristy, and much of it in kind of a frat-boy way. If you are looking just for a really lovely resort to spend a few days, and you don't really care about leaving the grounds, you'll probably be happy at Las Ventanas. If you are wanting to see more of Mexico, it might not be the right place.

texasgirl Jan 31st, 2002 07:40 PM

You can get short boat trips for snorkeling, either arrange through las ventanas or go to town and you can find plenty of trips there. snorkeling off the beach isn't really possible at lv, there just isn't much to see and the water is fairly rough. For what its worth, i don't think the snorkeling in los cabos is nearly as good as what you would see on the yucatan coast or the caribbean, so if you are expecting that you might be disappointed.<BR><BR>Las Ventanas is a beautiful resort, but yes, Cabo is very touristy, and much of it in kind of a frat-boy way. If you are looking just for a really lovely resort to spend a few days, and you don't really care about leaving the grounds, you'll probably be happy at Las Ventanas. If you are wanting to see more of Mexico, it might not be the right place.

kk Feb 1st, 2002 03:19 AM

texasgirl: thanks for the response, sounds like los cabos is just as a feared. do you know of any lux places on the caribbean side? kk

texasgirl Feb 1st, 2002 08:59 AM

kk... we don't usually stay at luxe places but at more modest cabanas and small hotels _ in the $50-90 a night price range. So I can't give you many personal recommendations as to nicer places. (staying at las ventanas as an anomaly for me!) <BR>However, there are lots of nicer hotels and all-inclusives in the corridor between playa del carmen and tulum; you might want to check out playacar, for instance. There is definitely a lot of development in this area but to me it's not as over-the-top as Los Cabos and Cancun.<BR>