Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Snakes in Osa Peninsula (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/snakes-in-osa-peninsula-658982/)

xxxxx Nov 15th, 2006 09:29 AM

Snakes in Osa Peninsula

Hi. I am afraid of snakes and a little worried about hiking & sleeping in a cabin in the Osa Peninsula/Golfo Dulce area. Should I be worried? Should I buy protective clothing? Thanks for your advice!

gannetmusic Nov 15th, 2006 11:18 AM

Use a bit of common sense and you will be fine. Wear closed shoes on any trails. Stay ON the trails and be concious of where you put your feet and hands.

Actually the above precautions are as much for insects as they are for snakes. They are some big nasty ants, amongst other possible insect problems.

During our visits we've only seen two poisonous snakes and one boa -and we are mostly out on trails during or time in CR.

Do remember to shake out your shoes in the morning before you put them on...... our very first trip to Costa Rica my brother shook a scorpion out of his shoe our second morning in the country. I think he was about ready to head back to SJO.....LOL.

Jerry

shillmac Nov 15th, 2006 06:35 PM

Those are good tips, indeed, Jerry. Especially on the Osa. I suppose we should be that cautious all over the country, but on the Osa we made sure our luggage was zipped tight at all times and checked our shoes (and bed!) like crazy!

sandyc Nov 16th, 2006 10:03 AM

Before I go to sleep in that area, I get a flashlight and check every corner of the rooms, closets, under the bed and under the sheets. I don't want any surprises in the middle of the night! (So far I haven't seen any snakes in my room, but saw two on the trails. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. They couldn't have cared less about us.) Oh, when walking on trails, do not reach out and grab a tree and look very carefully before setting your hands and feet down on rocks, etc.

Sandy

xxxxx Nov 16th, 2006 02:28 PM

Sandy, where did you see the snakes on the trails? Were they fer de lance? This is really making me nervous!

tully Nov 16th, 2006 02:51 PM

The majority of snakes in CR you will never see as they really want nothing to do with you. Watch your step and where you grab and you'll be fine. I've seen 6 in 3 trips and all of them could've cared less; unless you threaten them, chase them, provoke them or accidently step on one (and they know you're coming) I wouldn't let it get you psyched out.

tully Nov 16th, 2006 02:57 PM

Oh and I know totally about the "night check", as it were, lol. At BdC I would examine the room, the bed, then tuck the netting in between the mattresses so I was like in a little cocoon. In the Mariposa Cabina, on the 3rd or 4th night, I came home to find a good plop of guano in the room, the rest of the nights there I found several more. I never found who was leaving it, but I figured he/she was eating bugs and that it was my friend and welcome to stay.

Earthtraveler Nov 17th, 2006 05:51 AM

The geckos (small lizards) often leave guano droppings and will eat on bananas left out. I had one laughing at me on cue,almost a pun, while playing pool as I hit a bad shot. It was hilarious.

XXXX
Ask your Heavenly Father to protect you on your journey and follow the wisdom given on this board and which speaks to your heart and you should be fine. It is a great rarity for a tourist to be bitten by a snake in CR.
The riptides on the other hand kill quite a few who panic and miss their opportunity to come safely through the ordeal.

guanacaste Nov 18th, 2006 09:00 AM

earthtraveeler- unless the snake is a muslim!