Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   smarTours South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/smartours-south-america-468998/)

JudySue Aug 22nd, 2004 09:05 AM

smarTours South America

Has anyone taken the smarTours South America tour? I signed up for early November and am anxiously trying to get some input from aomeone who has taken the tour already.
Judy

Brucenlynn Aug 24th, 2004 09:06 AM

My sister has taken many trips with Smartours and speaks highly of them. She did do the South America trip also and enjoyed it as well. I'm considering it myself. I'd prefer a cruise but they only offer Nov-Apr and we need to travel after school is out (May). I could ask her specific questions if no one else replies to your response.

Lynn

JudySue Aug 25th, 2004 05:59 PM

Brucenlynn,
Thanks for your reply. Since you are the only one who answered I would greatly appreciate it if you would ask your sister and get back to me.
Judy

tully Aug 25th, 2004 06:48 PM

Unfortunately I can give you no first-hand advice. But, on my trip to Costa Rica recently, I met a couple from Las Vegas who had nothing but great things to say about their SA tour and one to (I think) Hong Kong. Insisted I write the website down even! :) I remember they praised their hotels, saying they got much nicer ones than expected. Hope that helps a little.

connette Aug 26th, 2004 11:15 AM

Did you try a search on smartours on this site? I see several posts coming up. Also, saw a few posts on www.frommers.com

JudySue Sep 2nd, 2004 06:19 AM

I have already taken the Vietnam/Cambodia and the India/Nepal tours with smarTours and feel that they give you extremely good value for the money, use very fine hotels, have knowledgable guides and good food. My only objection, which I imagine are true of most tours, is that one isn't able to stay longer in some wonderful places. This was my primary objection to the South American tour. Imagine: Argentina, Brazil and Chile in 16 days including air from NYC! In the end I decided to sign with them and hope for the best.
Does anyone have any personal experiences?
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Judy

JudySue Sep 9th, 2004 08:18 AM

Since the tour only covers a percentage of the meals would anyone be able to suggest some good restaurants in Santiago, Chile - Puerto Varas, Chile - Bariloche, Argentina - Buenos Aires, Argentina - Iguasso Falls, Brazil and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil?

JudySue Sep 11th, 2004 03:14 PM

Come on, now. Doesn't anyone know any good restaurants in that part of the world?
Judy

arbegold Sep 12th, 2004 12:29 PM

Restaurants: We like to eat,drink, and aren't vegetarians.
Santiago: Bella Vista Area, lots of restaurants. Ate at Venezia, hole in the wall, good. El Bosque area. Coco Loco, expensive, very good.
BA: Las Nazarenas, Reconquista 1132. Excellent steaks, moderately priced.
La Charro on Cordoba, almost as good as Nazarenas, great flan.
Iguazzu: Stayed at Das Cateratas Hotel and ate there. Very nice hotel buffet.
Rio: Casa de Feijoada, great regional stews, pork, beans. Lots of fun
Siri do Mole, seafood.
Great shrimp snacks on beach.

JudySue Sep 19th, 2004 09:06 AM

Arbegold:
Thanks so much for your suggestions. Looks like I wiull be staying in some of the same hotels as you, namely: Das Cataratas in Iguassu.
My hotel in Santiago is the Kennedy Hotal, which as far as I can make out is not very centrally located as far as tourism is concerned. It seems to be relatively new and located in a business area.
Has anyone attempted the metro?
Waiting to hear from you.
Judy