small hotels for sale

Old Apr 15th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
small hotels for sale

I have become curious about the number of small hotels for sale in CR -- must not be very profitable, or perhaps more work than many are willing to do? Is anyone familiar with average occupancy rates, operating expenses, etc? On its face, it seems like a very attractive proposition: quit my job and buy a small piece of paradise on the beach.

Thanks for your thoughts
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 03:23 PM

A similar situation exists in parts of Belize. The reasons:

* Amateur hotel operators who think running a hotel would be "fun" but who know little about marketing or operations.

* Economies of scale -- most of the properties are too small to operate efficiently or to generate effective marketing.

* Traditionally low occupancy rates due to seasonal business, being off the beaten path, exclusively tourist business instead of a mix of tourist, convention and business travelers, and lack of awareness and other factors.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 06:47 PM

I noticed the same thing the last time we were in CR (Aug 2001) and wondered about it also- the situations all looked so idyllic, but if so, why did so many want to sell? Obviously Lan (THE expert on Belize) has made some very good points.....
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

It seems like the operations and marketing obstacles could be overcome. From many posts I have read, many questions revolve around "where to stay". In June of last year, we stayed on the Pacific Coast of CR, near Samara, in a private villa owned by acquaintances of my parents. Granted, if they had not known those folks, our trip likely would have never materialized. But walking around Samara, there were at least 6 or 8 of these small hotels around town. A couple fo the ones I noticed are now for sale. I myself might be wary of staying in one if I were not familiar with the conditions, amenities, etc. If this information could be reliably communicated to a broad (or targeted??) audience, it seems that the unfamiliarity might be able to be overcome. Does anyone know what an average occupancy rate is for these places?

Thanks.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 08:58 AM

Interesting enough that there is an organization in the US with Apple being involved that is buying up small facilities in the D.R. and finding a market for them after re-doing them. They are doing an incredible job...there are many people like myself who decry these mega resorts and look for smaller facilities. The resort we just went to has an occupancy rate of 800 and is sold out..and the reviews have been incredible..I look forward to seeing what else they branch out to..and what other countries..but that will take a while.