Search

SJ hotel, then heading east

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SJ hotel, then heading east

Hi Everyone

thanks for the countless, priceless advise! My question, 1st night in SJ, need a hotel, I think on the east side...so when the rental car gets dropped off, we can head east to PV and not have to drive through city. make sense?
any suggestions?

thanks
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 01:52 PM

Absolutely makes sense - check out Le Bergerac. We stayed there the night we got in, had Adobe deliver us a car the next am, and then we were off to San Gerardo de Dota. This hotel is just a half block south of Avenida Central on the eastern edge of the city. A really nice hotel too!
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 04:20 PM

We like Hotel Don Carlos as well. It's in a good area, and just a few blocks from the entrance to Highway 32, the one you'll be taking to Limon. It's a good value. Either way, you won't go wrong--Bergerac or Don Carlos.

Juan Carlos, the tour guide at Don Carlos will hook you up with Tricolor--one of the best (my opinion) rental car companies available--prices impossible to beat and excellent service--if you're interested. We first used Tricolor because of him and have been hooked ever since.

Have a great time, enjoy Puerto Viejo--fun little place!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

perfect, concise answers-TX.

shillmac, definately interested in assistance for car-way cool, tri-color was #1 choice too. Looks like no hidden fees either(?). What would be an appropriate $ tip? good hotel website. YEAH another tick in the box.

Coming home- SJ hotel? from direction of pacific coast (we're moving around, 14 days)? plane departs 2:15pm/14:15.

have more questions for you if you dont mind? but will post new.

tx
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 04:20 AM

Juan Carlos won't expect a tip, and you'll be pleased with Tricolor, I think. There are absolutely no hidden fees. That said, I always make a copy of the e-mail agreement and take it with me. AND I make sure the copy states that fees are all-inclusive. Just in case of a misunderstanding. . .

The front desk staff will give you good directions for getting on the road.

Coming from the Pacific side, my goodness, lots of options. You'll want to stay near the airport rather than in San Jose. The obvious choice would be Vista del Valle, since you'll have some time in the a.m. to relax and enjoy the property--at least until 11:00 or so. It's a beautiful hotel/property.

Another choice would be Las Orquideas or Hotel Villa Bonita (my favorite, because I think so much of Humberto and Carmen). These are lower price end, but good choices if you want to get out early for one last fling--like Zoo Ave (bird zoo and rehab) right there in Alajuela. Great place is you have a couple of hours to enjoy.

But if you want to relax the morning or hike down to the falls, then Vista del Valle!