Silly Food/Drink Questions for Cabo San Lucas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2005, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am going to Cabo next week and need some really silly advice. Is there anything at that I should avoid eating or drinking (other than too much alcohol)? Particularly at the hotel? Which fruits are acceptable? Salad? Sorry if this is such a basic question; I know that these problems in Mexico were resolved years ago but I just want to hear it again that the resort's water is safe to drink. Thanks.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 06:22 AM

I have never had a problem in three years of going there. I am assuming you hotel has a water filter system. All the major resorts and restaurants do.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Staying at the Westin.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 08:40 AM

We went to cabo 3 years ago and got sick, I think from the salads, because we drank bottled water. They did assure us the water was filtered. We stayed at solitis, something like that
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 11:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Everyone picks their own threshold of risks about food in Mexico. It has not been <resolved years ago>... just ask anyone who's gotten sick on their vacation!

For me personally I only drink purchased bottled water (not purified or filtered from a hotel system tap). I don't worry about ice, since that is delivered in. No to salads, yes to fruits and vegetables that can be peeled or are steamed/cooked.

Watch out for poor food handling like lack of refrigeration, buffet foods sitting out too long, etc.

I also avoid dairy such as cream sauces and sour cream, after a couple bad experiences.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody. Suze, do you brush your teeth with bottled water?
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 10:01 AM

Generally, in any reputable place in Mexico the food will be fine. The problem lies in different bacteria in the Mexican food system then ours. There is some evidence that some people are more genetically susceptible to these problems than others. For example, took a group to Cuernavca. Everyone ate together and ate the same. One person was hospitalized due to illness, everyone else was fine. If you follow common sense rules, don't drink the water unless you know it is purified- don't even brush your teeth with it, and wash before eating you will most likely be fine. I continue to find that lots of yogurt with active cultures hps me avoid prolems in Mexico. I usually have a couple a day. In years of travel there I rarely have a problem.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 11:49 AM

Having worked in resorts in tropical countries for most of the past 17 years here's some advice:
You will get some form of Montezuma's Revenge during your trip because:
You will probably be drinking more alcohol than you usually do.
You will be in the sun more than you usually are.
You will be eating fresh tropical fruit that you don't normally do.
Your time schedule will be different.
All these affect the body and even if you didn't actually pick up a "bug" your body will react.

One approach that I have seen work extremely well while living in Mexico is to take Lactobacillus acidophilus pills or each a natural yogurt (the pasteurization process can kill this good bacteria in some brands)...
This keeps your stomach with the right acidity which prevents the bad bacteria from growing.

If you do get a case: Stop drinking alcohol, drink lots of bottled water and each very plain foods especially rice and bananas. You might also want to take Imodium or Lomotril - but only if you have to travel as otherwise you are trapping the nasty bacteria inside...

Hope this helps,
Andrew
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 05:22 PM

Be careful not to get LIME (not lyme) disease, usually contracted through one too many margaritas.....