Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Siencio de Campo or Arenal Volcano Inn (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/siencio-de-campo-or-arenal-volcano-inn-745132/)

nina Oct 27th, 2007 05:29 AM

Siencio de Campo or Arenal Volcano Inn

We've narrowed it down to these 2, we're a family of 4 getting 2 separate rooms for ourselves and our 2 teenaged boys...which would you recommend? The reviews at SDC are great, but there's concern about construction next door, does anyone know if the construstion will be complete by February when we go?

Also, SDC is $20 more/night, but they say that will include the use of thermal springs on their property (for 4 of us)...what's your opinion, worth it, or not?

Thanks!

shillmac Oct 28th, 2007 07:09 AM

nina, when I was there last, end of June, there was construction all over the place. Probably more has begun since then. It is going to be ongoing, I'm afraid. Costa Rica has been discovered by the entire world, and Arenal is it's top attraction.

You and I have probably had this discussion before (so many people use this Forum, I forget who is doing what), but if you were to select someplace like Arenal Observatory Lodge, you'd (I THINK) be safe from construction worries and also on the side where the lava flow currently is (although that can change).

Pardon me if I've already suggested that and you've already said, "NO"! It's a little out of the way, but if you have a vehicle (and you said you were renting in La Fortuna, right?) it is a great place to stay.

nina Oct 28th, 2007 07:15 AM

Thanks again shill, I contacted AOL as it was my first choice and still within our budget for 2 rooms, and believe it or not, they only have one night available, so they're out...what about Arenal Lodge? Theyre a little out of the way too, do you know anything about it?

shillmac Oct 28th, 2007 07:25 AM

No, I don't. It has gotten decent reviews, though. Also a place called Arenal Springs. As you know, we also stay frequently at Arenal Paraiso--lovely property right across from the volcano! Or so it seems. . .the thing is big! :)

Did you by any chance ask AOL about La Casona, lodging with shared bathrooms. This was where we stayed and it was great (and we don't usually opt for the sharing). The bathrooms were very clean, and we were almost the only ones there. I'm just wondering if their "full up-ness" included that option. It was $53 per night, including breakfast.

nina Oct 28th, 2007 07:58 AM

Arenal Paraiso is booked and I just emailed Arenal Springs, what have you heard about them?...they have connecting rooms which would be great. I won't share a bathroom, I even hate to share with my kids, lol!

shillmac Oct 28th, 2007 08:03 AM

Sorry, nina, I can't remember who has recommended Arenal Springs and what exactly has been said, but I've heard it mentioned favorably from several sources during the past 3 years. I don't think I've heard a single negative. Might be a great option for you. BUT, don't discount that there MIGHT be construction nearby. I think AS is located fairly close to La Fortuna--it would be a good location. I'll bet if you ran a post on it, you'd hear from a few people within the next 2-3 days. OR do a search--even better.

nina Oct 28th, 2007 09:12 AM

Thanks Shill, I'll do that. I really appreciate all or your help!