Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   SiComoNo or Makanda by the Sea? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/sicomono-or-makanda-by-the-sea-238410/)

Jennifer Jul 10th, 2002 01:16 PM

SiComoNo or Makanda by the Sea?

Is anyone familiar with these hotels in the Manuel Antonio area? Are there better, still scenic,less alternative places to stay?

Tess Jul 10th, 2002 01:50 PM

I've not yet made it to this area. A friend of mine who's been to Manuel Antonio several times enjoys staying at La Mariposa.<BR>

Ron Jul 10th, 2002 08:11 PM

2 years ago we took a 10-day trip throughout Costa Rica and concluded with the Si Como No which turned out to be our unquestioned favorite place to stay. You cannot go wrong with it. I cannot imagine anyone not loving it!

Scott Gauvin Jul 10th, 2002 09:37 PM

You can't go wrong with either option, but I personally prefer Si Como No.

Joe Jul 15th, 2002 02:53 PM

We stayed at Si Como No in April for two nights. Great hotel, and wonderful views. Considered the "eco friendly" lodge in the area. I would stay there again in a minute. If you do go, try to get reservations first though...

Robbie Jul 17th, 2002 01:50 PM

Of the two you mention, I prefer Makanda. Just a lot more private and quiet. There are many options in Manuel Antonio, here are a few:<BR>www.villasnicolas.com<BR>www.hotel-california.com<BR>www.espadillas.com<BR>www.lamariposa.com mentioned above<BR>www.karahe.com<BR>www.casitaseclipse.com< BR>www.manuelantoniotoday.com is a large website with several options.<BR>They are in no particular order and offer many different prices and styles.<BR>I live in Manuel Antonio and when the time came for my wedding anniversary the places I called were La Mariposa and Makanda. We ended up staying at La Mariposa, but we both think Makanda is excellent!<BR>There are many, many options here in Manuel Antonio!<BR>Best wishes!<BR>Robbie

Steve Moravec Jul 22nd, 2002 05:17 PM

Jennifer, <BR>my wife and I just got back from CR in mid July. We stayed at a rental house called the Monkey House, right next door to Makanda. You can find it on maqbeach.com. It was wonderful! It is extrimely private, less expensive than your other options, and shares a beach with Makanda. The two options listed are completely different. Si Como No is more of a resort with everything contained within the grounds. Makanda is verry private with bungalows hidden among the forest with frequent visits by monkeys. Both have great restaurants and wonderful staff.

Katie Sep 12th, 2002 03:43 PM

We stayed at Makanda for our honeymoon in July and it was by far the most amazing place we have ever been. If you get one of the seperate bungalows, it is like being in your own little jungle hidaway. We had a hammock in our living room that looked out through the jungle and onto the ocean. When we arrived the staff had placed flowers all over our bed along with a personal note of congratulations. The restaurant was very good and the pool also has an astonishing view. If you are looking for a romantic hideaway, Makanda is a good as it gets.

Alana Sep 13th, 2002 06:43 PM

KATIE:<BR>I read that you stayed at MAKANDA for your Honeymoon in July. We are leaving in 2 weeks for our Honeymoon in Costa Rica. We will be staying at Makanda while in Manuel Antonio. We are booked in Villa #10 I believe. How was the service and the Villas? Were they nice/clean? How was the weather when you went? Sorry for all the questions! Would love to hear your feedback!<BR>Thanks