Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Sick since my return from Costa Rica (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/sick-since-my-return-from-costa-rica-365979/)

alw1977 May 21st, 2008 12:25 PM

Sick since my return from Costa Rica

I'm going to my doctor in the next couple of days, but I've been sick since our return from CR on 5/10. It started with some intestinal distress, then I felt naseous from time to time, and I've had headaches and a fever. Has anyone else carried a little bug home with them from CR? Really, really hoping I don't have a ciguatera issue going on, but I guess the Dr. can tell me for sure.

parrmt May 21st, 2008 12:31 PM

So sorry! I wondered where you have been. I was looking for the BdC part of the report! Get well soon and let us know what the diagnosis is! Hope all goes well.

volcanogirl May 21st, 2008 12:55 PM

alw, I'm so sorry to hear that; I hope the doc can give you a diagnosis and solve the problem. Feel better soon.

TrvlMaven May 21st, 2008 12:55 PM

You can save a bit of time if your doctor will just order a stool anaylsis. It's a kit with full instructions that you do at home and drop off at a lab. Got a bug while I was there, but picked up Cipro. Followed up with above test when I got home--never had to see the doctor. Hope you are better!

shillmac May 21st, 2008 08:25 PM

Let us know what you find out. I guess it isn't dengue or your have the joint/bone pain, right?

MichelleY May 22nd, 2008 12:32 PM

Withdrawls from your night of debaucery??? Just joking.

Stool sample will tell alot. Be sure to mention Denque fever. Let us know how you are doing and the diagnosis.

Take care,

MY

Percy May 22nd, 2008 01:53 PM

I also would like to know what your doctor says.

When you see your doctor tell him you think you might have Dengue Fever.
If he agrees with you , then he will do a blood test on your first visit and another blood test 3 weeks later.

The second test is to see if you have developed antibodies to the virus that may have infected you.

Also when the doctor does your blood test he will look at your White Blood Cell Count.

So when you get your requisition for the blood test and you see that WBC is ticked off ...the WBC stands for White Blood Cell Count.

You have five different types of White Blood Cells.

1. Neutrophils ... these will be elevated if you have a bacteria infection.

2. Lymphocytes...these will be elevated if you have a viral infection... as perhaps in your case.

The other three types will not matter in your case.( except maybe Monocytes ..if you have a parasite infection.)

( But keep in mind that you could have Dengue Fever and have Normal Blood work..this is called a False Negative.)
Let your doctor decipher all of this .

But here is what else I would do.
ASK the doctor to do a Blood Smear....just in case you have Malaria.!!

Yes, yes I know Malaria is not prevalent in Costa Rica..
but..........
the test is simple:
1.They smear a few drops of your blood on a slide.

2. Then a chemical is added.
3.Then a cover slip is placed over top of the smear.
4. Then it is viewed under the microscope ..and if Malaria is present they will see it.

Don't bother spending money on Cipro or any other antibiotic.

This is caused buy a virus( if you indeed have Dengue Fever) and not a by bacteria...so save your money!

Keep us all posted.
Percy

P_M May 22nd, 2008 02:35 PM

bookmarking.

Please get well soon.

alw1977 May 22nd, 2008 03:54 PM

Update - I woke up this morning feeling great. Felt fine all day, normal appetite and stomach. So, didn't call Dr. Then, come home tonight and fever higher than last night. Calling tomorrow. If I don't respond this weekend, it's not because I took a turn for the worse. We're due to go out of town for the long weekend, provided I can go. I could just have a normal bug, but I think I need to find out for sure.

BdC report forthcoming, I swear.

alw1977 May 22nd, 2008 04:03 PM

Oh - I really didn't answer anybody's questions. No joint/bone pain or shivers (fever is only about 99.6 though), but have had fever, headache, dizziness, and gastro issues. I have a benign vertigo condition that flares from time to time, so I attributed my dizziness to that initially, but now I think this is all related.

If this is due to my night of debauchery, then I am waaay to old to debauch any longer. At least I haven't lost my sense of humor.

shillmac May 23rd, 2008 04:57 AM

This sounds a bit too unusual to be something that flares up from time to time. . go to the doctor. Do that stool sample. And GET WELL! You never know when you'll have another chance to "debauch" and you want to be up for it! :)

sumi May 23rd, 2008 05:40 AM

If anything, I think I would suspect giardia (intestinal "issues", on-and-off symptoms, especially the fever.) I've never had it but I have several backpacking friends who have. BdC uses spring water so it's certainly possible.

I've had dengue and even though I suspect I had a relatively "mild" case, it hit me like a ton of bricks right away, like a case of very bad flu.

janenicole May 23rd, 2008 06:25 AM

Hope you get better soon! Keep us posted. Am looking forward to your Osa report. Certainly found your other reports informative and entertaining!

hopefulist May 23rd, 2008 08:11 AM

Do go to the doctor and ask about giardia. After my first trip to Guatemala in the 80's I was sick as you describe, off and on. It was bad enough at first that I become seriously dehydrated but eventually the worst ended. I had fly-like symptoms off and on for a year, though, and ultimately it was discovered that parasites (or something?!) had lodged in my appendix making it leak off and on. It eventually ruptured and became gangrenous before I had it removed and I was pretty low for awhile with peritonitis and generalized infection.

I'm not telling this to frighten anyone, but to give you all a "heads up" that I'm not the only person I know who has had weird appendix symptoms after a giardia-type episode so keep your eyes open and your doctor informed. Hope you feel better soon, alw197y!!