Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

siankaan at Christmas - easy access & enough for teens?

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family with teens 16 & 19 looking to spend a relaxing Christmas and/or New Years on the beach. We were in Akumel when I was pregnant the first time and loved the beaches. Thought we'd look at an AI, but they look really built up now and I'm not big into crowds. We'd like beaches, access to water sports, some history and some entertainment. My husband is a good cook so we will do some meals at the house but would like to sample mexican cuisine as well.

We are looking at a house in SianKaan not far from Cesiak. They say it's 10 minutes from Tulum beaches. Is that an easy 10 minutes or a jeep ten minutes? Is that Tulum or just close enough to call it Tulum? If my teens get restless, is it close enough to do day trips to the ruins, Xel-ha and other sites. Is the kayaking easy enough for Mom? Are these good snorkeling beaches? What about restaurants etc?

Any help you can give would be appreciated!
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 04:15 AM

yes close enough for day trips to tulum, coba, xel-ha, x-caret and loads more. heck cancun is only 2 hrs. see www.locogringo.com for an extremely complete list of "things to do" and maps.

i am looking at cesiak on lg: http://www.locogringo.com/siankaan/c...ml?name=CESiak
and it seems to be ON the beach.
it is hard to say how far/long the drive to tulum beach is for you w/out knowing what house or more specific location.

on your way south from cancun airport have your driver (or you in rental car) stop at sorianna grocery in playa del carman. it's on the south side of town, right on the highway. this store has everything and more including liquor dept.
there is a tiny store in tulum but sorianna is the way to go.
pdc also has wal-mart and sams club. i advise taking in your checked luggage things like: peanut butter & jelly, packs of tuna, your brand of coffee or tea, a gallon zip w/ favorite cereal, we are hellmans's fanatics so we took that.

if the house you're looking at does not work out for you contact lg asking them for house on tankah bay beach or soliman bay beach. both maybe 15 mins north of town of tulum. both have good snorkel and kayaking. most of these rentals have a couple who take care of the house; many live on site. usually one of the couple can be hired as a cook if you choose. ours was a wonderful cook and we enjoyed 3 wonderful authentic local meals right in our home. (casa cavu on tankah)

for a great authentic meal/experience turn in the road to soliman bay and go to oscar & laylo's. wonderful food done family style. dirt floor with chickens about. nice adjacent beach. on the tulum beach road try mezzanine for a meal. they have a dandy mojito and a salad with pine nuts, blue cheesse that's to die for.

i think you will need to have a rental car. you can rent in cancun or tulum.

akumal is still pretty cool but i suspect that you will be shocked by the changes in last 20 yrs. fun restaurant there is lol-ha. very cool bar with some spicy salsa is la buena vida. very good snorkeling at yal-ku lagoon.

as i assume you'll do alot of exploring on your own i advise you send for the maps that laura map chick offers: http://www.mapchick.com/
she will send you the maps you select. if you like them you send her money. if not return the maps. yup thats right she'll mail them to you on good faith. the maps are excellent and detailed.

go to tulum ruins as early in am as possible. gets hot and very crowded when all the busses from the resorts show up - as at all ruins.

note americans are encouraged not to drive after dark. and be sure to learn how to make a left turn.

atm in tulum pueblo is best way to keep funds. to change dollars to pesos you must stand in bank line and they are some slow! do not take travelers checques. smaller places do not take plastic.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 05:21 AM

It is 10 minutes from the most southern Tulum beach or hotel. That would be around the Rancho san Eric compound or Casa Magna.

Beaches in Sian Kaan are gorgeous and in their natural state. The beach in front of your house will surely be cleaned by the staff, but there are mostly isolated stretches where no one cleans the beach and you may be shocked at the amount of trash that washes up.

The only water sports I can think of in that area would be through Cesiak such as kayaking. A little farther down you'll find the Boca Paila Fishing Lodge - they offer kite-boarding. Between BPFL and Cesiak is another place, last I knew called Kon-Waye, on the lagoon side. They rent bikes and kayaks.

Kayaking in the lagoon - where you'll probably do it - is easy enough for a mom. I did it with my (then) 1 yr old. It's an open, flat, pontoon-like kayak. Keep in mind, there are some crocs in the lagoon.

The reef is in chunks thoughout the coast and about 500 meters out from shore. I'd only do it with a boat and a lifevest. There are some good boogie boarding waves in Sian Kaan (in fact the only place I've ever been able to catch a wave).

For excitement, your kids might like La Zebra - they play cool music and show movies on some nights. They also do salsa lessons Wed-Sat or Thurs-Sat at 5 or 6pm. Then then finish up with a salsa party (quite loud, I might add) on Sun evening.

I also like Casa Magna. It's the former Pablo Escobar estate. He was having it built; not sure if he ever stayed in it. It's a great place for lunch, but lunch is pricey with everything at $14 and it's very good. Dinners are $25 prix fixe 3 course.

There's a place south of the bridge on the Boca paila Rd called Xamach Dos - would be good for a trip for lunch. THere's a ruin across the street that is still swallowed by the jungle - in fact, you'll need some guidance to find it. I haven't been yet.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the detailed info. I've gotten some maps and am attempting to get my kids on board for a house that's NOT in a resort. They seem to think they'd like to be in the middle of the action but I kinda like the sound of waves rather than parties.

If there are crocs in the lagoon, do we have to worry about snokeling?

My husband has driven all over the world and I trust him to drive safely but I'm guessing from the night warning that if we drive up to Akumel it should be daytime not for the evening.

And thanks for the tips on packing food. It will keep the picky one happy.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 11:25 AM

There are crocs in the lagoon. One was spotted AFTER I had let my (then) 11 yr old step out onto a mangrove island in the lagoon to pee. When I paddled back to the dock, the excitement of spotting the croc had just died down.

You would snorkle in the ocean anyway; not the lagoon.

You will want to drive during the daylight hours - especially for the first couple of days while you get used to pot-holes, etc. Really hard to see pot-holes at night.

Also the rd has a small amount of people walking and biking at night w/o any lighting - you really have to keep an eye out.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

The villa I was looking at is called Casa de los Ninos in the Sian Kaan Biosphere. Has anyone heard about it? It looks great on the website...but out of the action according to the teens, which is why I'm asking about distances to places.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 05:12 AM

It is kinda far down there and there is nothing around w/in walking distance. Not sure how far it is from Cesiak; I remember going past it when it was being built a few years ago. It looks like a great house!...I'd love to stay there!!

Have you though about a house that in Tulum and w/in walking distance of more restaurants, etc? Try vacationrentals.com. There's a house on the Retiro Maya proprty that would be good for y'all. I'll see if I can find it.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 05:21 AM

Not a lot of photos one this one and it may be more rustic than what you are looking for (not sure). If you inquire, ask them to send you more photos.

http://www.retiromaya.com/index.cfm/...as-Retiro-Maya
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Pepper. I have sent an inquiry - it's not too rustic for us. We are intrepid travellers, who like to experience a country. After your comments, my husband promised that if we go, he'll drive by the other house and if we like it we can come back without the kids for a peaceful,romantic vacation. Can't lose can I?
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 05:56 AM

we rented through locogringo as well. casa cavu on tankah bay beach. wonderful house - just as represented on the web page.
as regards teens. still think you are within easy drive to all the "stuff" to do. but agree with teens this is a remote place to stay. i don't think the 19yr old will be permitted to drive the rental car (don't you have to be 25??) are they looking for things to do or ppl to do it with?
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi Virginia

No the 19 year old can't drive the rental car, which will drive him crazy. He is very social. He's not a big drinker but he likes music and people. The 16 year old (girl) likes to shop and sunbathe and read books. They both like kayaking, snorkelling, exploring and we usually do it as a family. However, they are both independent, so they will also like doing things that segregates them from their parents if other people are around (it's that age). I'd like them to have some freedom to roam but know that they are safe.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

ps Virginia

My daughter found Cas cavu and loved it but it's sold out for the holidays.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 07:10 AM

i've been trying to think of an exceptional option for your family all night. sorry to say not much has come to mind. one of the places near ana y jose's might have provided a bit more "action" but they seem to be mostly booked for xmas holidays.
in that many places are already booked i think you should reserve casa de los ninos right away. other than one of the big ai's there just aren't many options available now.
you vs. teens can compromise with day outings. they will like x-caret and you can do 'we'll meet you in 2 hours thing'. at xel-ha i would feel totally comfortable dropping them off for a day. they could hang without you around and you and dh could honeymoon back at the casa.
to fulfill dd need for shopping -outside tulum ruins (at the park but not within the charged admission section is a craft/clothes mart. all small local vendors. fun and easily a couple hours of looking.
also i think dd will like a day in pdc. more shopping than a person could ever do in a day. much greater variety than tulum of course.
and perhaps you can find a safe place for ds to party a night or 2 up near ana y jose's - drop him off and arrange to pick him up at a given time???? of course this involves night driving and you'd have to talk to your casa's caretaker to know if this is advisable. Possibly a taxi would go to your house at night?
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

thanks Virginia. I'm waiting to hear back from the villa and one other my daughter found and the kids are checking out your activity suggestions. I'll let you know what happens.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Hi Virginia, Pepper. SO much for impulse vacations. Looks like we left it too late for this year as we can't coordinate flights and a place to stay at the same time. THanks for your help. Think I'll start planning next Christmas in January.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 08:39 AM

lal birch, i'm so sorry this trip could not work out for you. however if you plan it now for next year you should have your pick of villas. i always say it's never too early to plan a trip.