Our CR Itinerary & a Spider Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2017, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, Just looking for feedback on this itinerary!
Fly in to San Jose and spend one night there
Depart for Bosque del Cabo next morning, spending 4 nights there
Return to San Jose and then head to Arenal area for 4 nights (place yet to be determined)
Final night at Toucan Rescue Ranch before departing San Jose late afternoon for home

Now for spiders. I am terrified of spiders but I don't want this fear to keep me from travel. However, I want to be mentally prepared if spiders are something I will encounter in our room. I can handle spiders in their web, minding their own business, and imagine I will see them in the jungle. What has been your spider experience when in CR? Have they been large?
Old Jan 20th, 2017, 09:40 AM

I like your itinerary. Bosque del Cabo is amazing. We've been to the Arenal area several times and have stayed at Nayara, The Springs Resort and Spa (Groupon), the Arenal Observatory Lodge, and the Lost Iguana; we've enjoyed all of them. Silencio del Campo is also very popular. Also love Toucan Rescue Ranch; you may want to bring along earplugs since the animals aren't all quiet at night. I don't want to scare you, but spiders are very common. You'll probably see big orb spider webs while you're out hiking. If you do any night hikes you'll see tarantulas. I'd mention your fear to your guides and tell them not to point them out to you because you really don't want to see them. We have had spiders in our room before, usually small ones though. Spiders are really everywhere; we have them in our house at home, so hard to avoid them. I'd recommend keeping your luggage zipped up at all times just to be safe. CR is worth it.
Old Jan 20th, 2017, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Hello volcanogirl! Thank you so much for the pointers and the truth about the spider situation. The tarantula prospect is terrifying...but I'm going to put my big girl panties on and enjoy this experience. Maybe I'll return a spider convert...
Old Jan 20th, 2017, 04:47 PM

Costa Rica has made me much braver than I used to be. When we first started going I wouldn't night hike or zipline - too scared. Now I don't think anything of it. Tarantulas live in tunnel burrows underground. I believe they're nocturnal. The only time I've seen them is when guides tease them out of their holes, so hopefully you won't run into any of those.
Old Jan 30th, 2017, 04:53 AM

I am very afraid of spiders and I've seen them every time I go to Costa Rica, yet I'm planning my fourth trip now! Trust me, it's worth it! I agree with volcanogirl, you lose your fears quickly in CR, since everything is so beautiful and amazing'
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 06:22 AM
RAC

Tarantulas there are not dangerous to people--their bite is not as bad as some of the ants there. In general spiders in CR are not as dangerous as those in North America--especially when it comes to indoors spiders.
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 09:39 AM

I didn't see spiders but we did have frogs in the toilet.
Check before you sit.
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 03:47 PM

We saw a few spiders on spring, 2016 trip but nothing special. Just use a bit of common sense like checking your shoes each morning before putting them on, maybe keeping luggage zipped up when not needed, etc.
Old Apr 21st, 2017, 07:27 PM

On trips to the pacific side and Arenal, I don't remember many bugs at all. We did see a wolf spider, but that was on a night hike and it had to be pointed out to us. On the Caribean side, though....yeah, spiders. Only one giant orb spider, but that was in a place with an outdoor kitchen in the middle of the forest.