Should I wire money to Hotel Olas in Bocas del Toro?

Old Dec 19th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I wire money to Hotel Olas in Bocas del Toro?

I would like to stay at Hotel Olas in Bocas del Toro. They don't accept credit cards, and when I tried to make a reservation I got an email saying they need the first night's rate as a deposit, in this case $50. Here's the catch: they want me to Western Union it to "Omer Meir Baram". Does anyone have experience with this hotel? Is this normal? I would definitely not do it if it weren't for the fact that they don't take credit cards, but it seems like it is the only option to reserve a room.

I should mention that Fodor's designated it a "Fodor's Choice", which leads me to believe it's pretty reputable. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 04:03 AM

www.bocastesoroescondido.com my fav in that area

Nicer place owners staff for me will work with you.

Yours is ok pretty place owners can be diffiuclt/indifferent

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ocas_Town_Isla

I would not do it but some smaller hotels

do this to decrease cost and dodge taxes off the books

odds are great with a small ammt you will be fine

but more fees associated with doing this.

CC/Paypal always best for me also

www.insuremytrip.com cheap wise

Happy Hunting,
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 02:55 PM

I looked into this hotel too... and was planning to stay there but they informed me that the rates on the website were not what it would really cost me to go in January (+20)... found Hotel Angela... you can book using a credit card and the staff has been very helpful/friendly.

That being said I did use a similar method for a hotel in Honduras without any issue... and I suspect if there was any problems people would have reported it (sites like travelocity, etc. all have relatively good reviews.. and no mention of problems with the reservation process)... happy travels!
Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Funnily enough, I just booked a room at Hotel Angela before I read your reply! I read nice reviews, the price was very reasonable, and they take credit cards. Maybe we'll see each other there!
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 01:58 PM

@joelingermany ~ hopefully we both made a good choice! I'll be there for the last four days of my trip in mid Jan., if that too is when you are traveling then I will see you in Bocas
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

I'll be there January 27-30, so we'll miss each other by a couple weeks. Enjoy!
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 11:21 AM

<Paypal always best for me also>

Just a note about Paypal, if the vendor in Central America does not have a US Bank Account there is no way for them to take the funds out of Paypal.

I looked into setting up a paypal account to make things easier for people, however, I was disappointed when I found out there was no way for me to get the funds out without said account.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...ntries-outside

Sometimes western union and wire transfers are the only viable option. In Costa Rica, it's not uncommon for vendors to add 5% to a credit card charge to cover the very high costs associated with them there. Especially on the Osa Peninsula.

I wish banking in Central America was easier for all of us!

Pura Vida,
Ballardo Diaz, jungle guide
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 06:01 PM

I'm staying in Bocas for the month of February. Our place took half cash and half credit card via pay pal.
The owner has even swapped out twin beds for double in 1 room to please us. Take a look.
http://jardinesvistadelmar.com/contactus.html
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 02:59 PM

@joelingermany ~ just got home from Panama yesterday and I am very happy that I chose to stay at the Hotel Angela while in Bocas. The room was clean, simple and had the best shower in all of Panama! I also liked the location... not right in the middle of all of louder bars/restaurants but just a couple minutes walk and only 2-3 blocks from the airport. The owner, Claudio,who has lived in Bocas for many years but originally lived in the US runs a nice hotel and was very helpful at suggestions for places to visit/things to do... all of the staff were also friendly and helpful! will be posting a full trip report once I'm caught up at home/work... but wanted to let you know before you leave you will love the Hotel Angela!
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 09:08 AM

It is not that uncommon for hotels and services in Panama to accept only wire transfers for payment. One thing to be aware of is that in many places your reservation made with a credit card is not always honored. It is not until you actually present your card to be processed that your reservation will be completed. In some hotels, if you make the reservation over the phone with a credit card, and then someone else comes in before you with cash - your room will be given away. With a wire transfer you can be assured that your reservation will be kept for you. Just make sure they provide you with a receipt with the exact dates of your stay.