Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Should I send a deposit for tours? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/should-i-send-a-deposit-for-tours-846311/)

doryyoung Jun 23rd, 2010 07:06 AM

Should I send a deposit for tours?

Hi Everyone! As my trip is approaching (September) I am fine tuning my itinerary...Those of you who are experienced Costa Rica travelers..Do you think it is neccessary to pre-pay for tours with SkyTrek and Sunset Tours during the rainy season? I only ask this because they do not refund all of your money if you should have to cancel and quite honestly..if it is pouring rain or I chicken out when I actually SEE ziplines...I'd hate to lose my money! Any opinions on this??
Thanks All..I am getting very excited about my first trip to CR..

volcanogirl Jun 23rd, 2010 08:52 AM

I would think you would be okay to book there. September can be pretty rain, and it's low season.

hsmithcr Jun 23rd, 2010 08:52 AM

It is not necessary to prepay tours, especially in September. You can take a look around and decide for yourself and arrange it after you arrive.

doryyoung Jun 23rd, 2010 12:24 PM

Thanks guys...I kinda thought so too-I know it's rainy season and it seems like that should mean the crowds won't be as large as dry season..but on the other hand..I'm going during rainy season so maybe 1/2 the world is too! I definately want to experience the tours and the zip line..I have a little fear of free falling though so I might chicken out-also-my husband is 258 and a BIG man-he is healthy but large-Im not sure they will even let him do it-one tour group told me to send them a picture of dh..isn't that funny?

volcanogirl Jun 23rd, 2010 03:05 PM

That is funny! I would think they would go based on weight. I was a big chicken to do the ziplines, but it wasn't nearly as scary as I thought. Afterwards, I was really glad we did it. Same thing with the night hike. I did not want to do it on the Osa at all, but when I finally did it in Monteverde, I loved it. I guess each trip makes us a little braver.

Regarding tours, the only thing I would book ahead would be Eco Termales if it interests you since they limit the entry to 100 people. Even during rainy season, we met people who couldn't get in and had to go to Baldi instead.

doryyoung Jun 24th, 2010 12:39 PM

Thanks VG..Definately I also get more and more brave as I travel! I was so out of my element when I hiked the Inca Trail, now I think I can do ALMOST anything...I have noticed that you really liked Eco Term-how do you compare it to Tabacon? If your budget allowed and you had the time..would you do both? Or Eco twice? Just curious!

volcanogirl Jun 24th, 2010 03:11 PM

We did Tabacon first because it seemed to big the big one that everyone raves about. It is very pretty, but when we went, it was crowded and kind of loud. They have a waterslide, etc. When we went to Eco Termales, it was just so relaxing to me, and their chicken dinner was great. The setting for dinner is neat with orchids hanging down from overhead. I just liked that they limited the entry so there weren't so many people there. I thought Tabacon was a little bit overpriced. I also like the fact that Eco Termales is locally owned. It just seemed charming to me, but I can see the appeal of both spots. If I had to go back to one, I'd go with Eco T.