Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Short Trip Report: San Gerardo de Dota, Copey de Dota, and Sarapiqui

Apr 13th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

My wife, daughter and I just returned from a wonderful 10 day trip to Costa Rica. Many thanks to all who helped with great tips on the areas we visited. Savegre lodge in San Gerardo was superb for hummingbirds and hi-altitude species of birds. The gardens were gorgeous! Copey was a wonderful tiny little town that we fell in love with and had the best Quetzal viewing in CR. We really enjoyed staying at El Toucanet lodge with great home cooking and friendly owners(and their dogs Kit and Socks). Sarapiqui was hot,buggy, and absolutely wonderful! We stayed at La Quinta Country Lodge which exceeded our expectations. We really enjoyed the barbecue dinners that the owner grilled up and my wife even ate a piece of sausage-god forbid! Sorry this is so short but work has me in a tizzy. Lots of pictures can be seen at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/artiejay77/CostaRica2010#

I'm far from an expert on bird ID's so if any are incorrect let me know! The slide show feature works best if you set the time for each picture to 5 seconds. You may also have to hit F11 to get the pictures full screen. Enjoy!!
Apr 13th, 2010, 06:01 PM

Fabulous pictures, artiejay, thanks for sharing. You saw great birds and, it seems, got great pictures of all of them.
Apr 13th, 2010, 06:35 PM

Wonderful pictures, artie - really stunning. I'm glad you guys had a great time. Wow, you can be our resident bird expert!
Apr 14th, 2010, 05:57 AM

Most amazing collection I've seen in a long time. Thank you so much for sharing. Just beautiful, all of them. What were you using?
Apr 14th, 2010, 11:28 AM

Artie - hands down the best birding photos that I have seen from Costa Rica! Absolute professional quality, loved them. Thanks for helping me relive my trip to Savegre and Sarapiqui - two of my favorite places.

What type camera and lens were you using? Wow, I'm just so impressed and have to send your link on to my birding friends who were on my last trip.
Apr 14th, 2010, 11:52 AM

artie, if you had to choose, which place do you feel gave you the best birding experience?
Apr 14th, 2010, 01:28 PM

Forgot to add the flared ears on the green violet ear and the gorget on the magnificent are just superb!
Apr 14th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the kind words! Before I get a big head let me admit that the pictures were a team effort. I was using a Canon 50D with a 100-400mm lens,my wife the resident bug/frog photographer, uses a great little Sony point and shoot the DSC-H10,and my 15yo daughter was using a Canon XTi with a 70-300mm lens.

VG- thats a tough one! We really enjoyed all 3 areas. It's certainly more comfortable to bird and hike in the high altitude areas as you know from visiting Monteverde. Savegre lodge was great for birds and had some challenging hiking trails to boot. If you want to see Quetzals out in the open and in the sunlight then Copey de Dota is the place to be. Amazingly the birds were nesting right next to the road and the cars and trucks didn't seem to bother them. Sarapiqui was so hot that it detracted a little from the experience but the unbelievable diversity of species more than made up for the heat.I visited La Selva station on 3 straight days and saw many different birds each time. Unfortunately I missed alot of great shots here because of low light conditions under a thick canopy.

Colibri- Thanks! I would be honored for you to share the pics. Thanks for noticing the magnificent shot- you wouldn't believe how many shots I took trying to get the light just right. It's amazing how just a slight turn of their head can change the coloration.