Shopping in San Jose?

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping in San Jose?

Hi,

Getting ready to purchase our tickets and wondered if I should add an additional day to go shopping in San Jose.

Could someone please tell me what the shopping is like there?

We will be coming on lttle flight to the main airport and our internatioal flight is at 6:30pm. Would it be possible to take a cab from the airport and shop and eat for a few hours?

Thank You!
Gem
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 04:04 PM

I don't think I'd specifically add a day for shopping in San Jose. What are you shopping for? They have book stores, record stores, clothing stores, all the kinds of shops you'd find anywhere. Nothing struck me as really special. If you're looking for souvenirs and locally made crafts you'd do better in Sarchi. There is a good restaurant downtown -- La Casona. The address is Avenida 7, calles 1 y 3 de Racsa 100 norte, 50 este San Jose. And the National Theater is one of the most beautiful buildings I've seen, so it's worth taking a look.

Sandy
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sandy,

Thank you for your reply. I would love to go to Sarchi. How long of a trip from SJO is it?

We have such a short trip but I felt like I might be missing something if we did not go to the market or some shops in San Jose. Now that I am thinking about it- it is going to be a long day of travel and the gift shops at SJO were very nice.

Very Best,
Gem
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 08:23 PM

Sarchi is about 60 to 90 minutes northwest of San Jose.

The nicest souvenir shop in San Jose is Galeria Namu. They have a wonderful collection of folk and indigenous art, a little on the expensive side, but these are much more long-lasting remembrances of your trip than a t-shirt. They also have a nice selection of things in the $10-20 range too. The place is open daily except Sunday. Go to the website:

www.galerianamu.com

for the location and contact info.

You can combine Galeria Namu with a visit to the National Theater and the Gold Museum, just half a block from the theater.

The Mercado Central is interesting primarily from a sightseeing standpoint, but there's not much there for souvenirs. It's a place where Costa Ricans go to to shop.

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Jeff, for all the great information. The Galeria Namu website is wonderful.Thank you so much!
Gem