Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   SHOES for Bosque del Cabo, Costa Rica in January dry season? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/shoes-for-bosque-del-cabo-costa-rica-in-january-dry-season-867947/)

Melissa5 Nov 27th, 2010 01:00 PM

SHOES for Bosque del Cabo, Costa Rica in January dry season?

Tell me about the SHOES you wore at Bosque del Cabo, Costa Rica in the dry season (January)?? What worked for you and how did you find your shoes?

SHOES are a huge issue for me because I have problem feet. I have a tender spot on the bottom of my foot that isn't curable...I just have to wear shoes with good padding and can't walk barefoot on hard surfaces. I have to rest my foot a lot when it gets too sore. I also have to keep my feet and toes dry and free from blisters because my toes have a tendency to get infected easily. I am now totally free of infection...but during a previous year I had serious probs with infected toes.

I have 1 pair of hiking shoes that I bought in Switzerland. They have good tread on the bottom, are well padded and supported, and are made with Goretex so are partially water resistant. They are the only pair of closed-toe shoes that are comfortable for my feet at the moment. I also have several pairs of leather SAS sandals which work well as they do have some arch support...however being leather, they wouldn't dry out if I wore them on wet trails...

SO what do I need for Bosque del Cabo in January? Will the trails be wet or damp even in the dry season? Can I wear sandals in spite of the biting ants I've heard are on the trails?

The doc's instructions for me are to keep my feet DRY, prevent blisters, and wear shoes with enough padding.

It would be helpful for me to hear what shoes worked well for you ?? THANKS SO MUCH!

I am trying to book a deluxe cabina for Bosque del Cabo for January 2011 if there is space. if they are full then we will book for January 2012.

Melissa5 Nov 27th, 2010 04:06 PM

YES just heard from Bosque del Cabo...they do have space in January 2011 so we are booking! So tell me all about your shoes?

Did I mention our wedding anniversary is in January? What a great way to celebrate! :-X

1bhcrashman Nov 27th, 2010 04:56 PM

The trails are very well maintained at BDC. Your hiking boots will be fine. You might want to wear moisture wicking socks. Do you have a pair of athletic shoes (walkers or sneakers)? You could get padded insoles for them. I wear Eccos. They have a removable insole and I can put a gel insole in them. I don't think you're going to find any wet trails in Jan. If you go down to the stream or to the beach you might get wet but just normal walking on the trails, you'd be dry.

Melissa5 Nov 27th, 2010 05:00 PM

1bhcrashman: Thanks for your reply. My hiking shoes (described above) aren't the high top kind...they are low on the sides. But they have good tread on the bottom and are made of gore-tex, water resistant. I don't have any athletic shoes which work for me right now (problem feet) but I will keep looking. I like the idea of your Eccos with the removable insoles so you can get a gel insole...maybe a gel insole would be good for me. What's a good place with lots of choices for a gel insole?

tully Nov 27th, 2010 05:27 PM

You don't need high top hiking shoes at Bosque. As mentioned the trails are all well maintained. Any hiking shoe or tennis shoe with a good thread are fine, plus a pair of sandals or flip-flops for the pool and at night.

Kinkazote Nov 27th, 2010 06:28 PM

It depends a lot on what kind of hiking you plan to do. It sounds like your feet are not up to covering all the trails at BdC, and the more level trails are not going to require complex shoes. If you have any kind of walking shoes that are comfortable for you, they should be fine if you keep away from ants. I spent 17 days in CR last July in Tevas (Dozer model) sandals and was perfectly happy and comfortable (except when I forgot to take them off at bedtime). From what you say, if you can find any shoe you are comfortable in, wear them.

volcanogirl Nov 27th, 2010 10:00 PM

I wore running shoes most of the time; for muddy trails, I wore Keen's because they dry quickly. Also nice to have flip flops like mentioned above to wear around the cabins or at the pool. Definitely bring more socks that you think you'll need; it's nice to have a fresh pair to change into. We got pretty sweaty when we were there. Agree that you probably won't encounter muddy trails, but if you want to do the nature sanctuary, the boat let us off in the water, so it was nice to have those Keen's; they're also nice for the beach.

Melissa5 Nov 28th, 2010 07:33 PM

volcanogirl: Thanks for your reply, it helps. I will bring lots of socks, something to wear at pool and beach...and 2 pairs of hiking shoes or walking shoes. But I will have to go shoe-shopping since right now I think I only have 1 pair of hiking shoes which will work. I don't think I should bring my leather sandals because if they get wet they won't dry very well and they are difficult to clean. Not sure I've seen Keens...what are Keens? I don't think we will go to the nature sanctuary but its interesting that they let you off in the water!

Kinkazote: You are right, my feet aren't up to covering a long trail at the moment...I wont' know for sure til I get there. In Switzerland I was fortunate and was able to hike for hours and hours...but right now, I was challenged just walking in our large park today and had to rest my feet a lot. Where did you get your Tevas Dozer model sandals...what are they exactly? I will look on the internet. Interesting that you wore them for 17 days in CR last July...rainy season. By the way how does one keep away from the biting ants as you suggested?!

Tully: thanks for the input. Reading about what shoes/sandals worked for everyone else helps me decide what might work for me. Because of my problem feet, it is best for me to have a variety of foot wear to take with me anyplace that I go.

I was cold in San Diego today...my feet were cold too...and my feet are looking forward to warm Bosque del Cabo in January! :-D

<b>BEACH SHOES:</b> Did I read that you can't go barefoot at Bosque del CAbo nearby beaches and you need water shoes? If so I need to find water shoes.

volcanogirl Nov 29th, 2010 02:25 AM

Keen makes waterproof shoes/sandals. You can wear them on land or in the water, and they dry really quickly. Check out someplace like REI, and they'll have them.

stephensfamily5 Nov 29th, 2010 04:39 PM

Has anyone tried Insect Shield clothes? I purchased Insect Shield socks for my husband and I. Haven't tried them yet to see if they really work.

shillmac Nov 29th, 2010 05:04 PM

We haven't had a lot of trouble with ants on the trail. If we stop and stand for awhile (looking up or down at birds, usually), we make sure to check out the ground. Mostly there are the leaf cutter ants, hard to miss with their leafy backpacks!

Melissa5 Nov 29th, 2010 06:34 PM

volcanogirl: Thanks there is an REI near me so I will see what they have in terms of waterproof sandals/shoes.

shillmac: I'm glad to hear you didn't have too many ant problems.

stephensfamily5: Personally I'm a bit worried that Insect Shield clothes might not be so healthy for the people wearing them...but then, neither is DEET. In Costa Rica, I put insect repellant on my exposed skin...however somehow a lone mosquito managed to avoid my exposed skin, fly up the leg of my capri pants, and bite me under my clothes, where I wasn't wearing DEET! However since I only got maybe 2 mosquito bites the whole time I visited Arenal, Monteverde and Manuel Antonio, I didn't think it was a big problem. I could probably have gone without the repellant but was glad I had it along. Good luck with your decision.

mlgb Dec 3rd, 2010 09:31 AM

I have not used Insect Shield Brand but instead bought the Sawyer Permethrin Spray which lasts through 6 washings, treated especially the collar cuff and pantleg openings, as well as socks. I found that it really did help. Another option if you're going a lot of jungle hiking and don't want insecticide around your face, is a mosquito head net.

blackcat256 Dec 6th, 2010 05:34 PM

I wore tennis shoes on the trails and a sturdy Merrell sandal around the lodge/grounds or up the driveway. I wish I had of taken a pair of water/swim shoes for the beach. Tennis shoes didn't work great down there and the sand was a tad hot for barefoot.

rnman Dec 13th, 2010 01:05 PM

Keens.... comfy and can wear in the water!

Melissa5 Dec 30th, 2010 07:58 PM

Help! Even in San Diego, finding water shoes or water sandals or <b>light hiking water sandals</b> is difficult in December, because they are off-season.

I can find <b>Keens</b> and <b>Tevas</b> on-line, but its best to try them on in a store. But...the stores have slim pickin's right now as it's December! :-?

For Bosque del Cabo all I have so far is 1 pair of low hiking shoes, with good tread on the bottom, made from Gore-tex (water resistant). I got them in Switzerland. They work for my various foot problems. I hope they aren't too hot in Costa Rica.

But I'd like to bring <b>SANDALS</b> as well...but the only sandals I have now are leather SAS sandals which aren't waterproof at all...and they don't have enough tread on the bottom (hardly any, actually) so could be slippery.

I can get <b>Teva "Tirra"</b> water sandals that have a comfortable anatomic footbed...I tried on a pair on clearance at R.E.I. But...they do have a high thin unpadded strap across the top of the foot that isn't too comfortable. (If you have a pair you might know what I mean, especially if you have a high instep like me.) So...I'm not sure that I would wear them very much.

I found a gigantic pair of <b>Keen "Newport"</b> water shoes which don't fit me on clearance at the Walking Co. They were too big but I tried them on to get an idea of how they feel. They felt ok except they have a heavy closed toe. Has anybody worn those? Did the "heavy" toe bother you? I could order my size on-line...

I bought 1 pair of uncomfortable Krocs, just thought they'd be good shower shoes...

This trip is in January dry season in Bosque del Cabo. But it could still rain.

Even when this trip is over, I could really use a pair of water sandals that are good for light hikes. Something you can use for light hiking, walking at the beach, and something that dries easily...but it has to have a <b>soft footbed</b> because I have a tender foot with a swollen spot on the bottom...can't walk in hard shoes. I also have other foot challenges (high instep, high arches, and toes prone to blistering.)

If only I had the perfect pair of sandals I'd be delighted...or better yet, a brand new foot! :-P

TiltedFlipCurves Dec 31st, 2010 07:49 AM

A closed toe is highly desirable. You want something that can be worn to enter the water at a rocky beach. That means not having to worry so much about stubbing toes on an underwater object that can't be seen.

Deb15July Dec 31st, 2010 08:15 AM

Good socks are a must. I wore Keen hightop hiking boots on the trails because I tend to be clutzy and broke my foot several years ago when I slipped. We were there in May, but the weather was good.

mlgb Dec 31st, 2010 10:11 AM

I agree about not wearing sandals on hikes. Closed shoes will protect you from ants and other biting things. If you get mud between your foot and the bottom of the sandal, then your foot slides around and it is no fun. Since your hiking shoes are Goretex, they should breathe pretty well in hot weather.

I'm surprised you found the Crocs uncomfortable. I use the Lands End version which is a little stiffer and provides more support, but they really don't work for hiking unless it is dry, just walking down to the water.

If you can return the Keens if they aren't right, I might try those, but you can probably make do with your hiking shoes. If you are wading in the ocean or rivers you might want to get a water shoe just for protection.

hipvirgochick Dec 31st, 2010 11:29 AM

The Keen Newport is a little heavier with bulkier toe than Venice and Whisper styles. I like Whisper the best because it's narrower and lightweight but because of your feet issues you may still find the need for an insert. I spray my feet with Deet and wear them all over the trails, rocks and through water. Love them. I have Salomon Techs too which are more like a water shoe/hiker that's tennis shoe style and occasionally I'll wear those but prefer Keens.