Shangri-la Caribe -- Playa or Caribe section

Old Apr 14th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shangri-la Caribe -- Playa or Caribe section

I am considering going to the Shangri-la Caribe in Playa del Carmen in late October with my husband. We want a bungalow right on the beach because I do not like the traditional hotel type setting. I have read the posts on this hotel but has anyone stayed here and can tell me which is the preferable section to stay in, Playa or Caribe, if we want unobstructed views of the water and preferably a stand-alone unit? Is there a specific unit we should ask for?

Any advice would be most appreciated.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 12:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was there last year. The Playa side is newer and the rooms a bit nicer. That being said, when you are walking through the resort you really can't tell which side you are on, it all looks like one nice resort. There didn't seem to be much difference in location regarding the beachfront bungalows, they are all right on the beach. (Important to note -- because of this, you will not have much privacy). But the location is great. I liked the resort very much and you can't beat it for the price. However, my husband did not like the fact that there wasn't any AC. It can be very hot there. Also, there did not seem to be many beachfront bungalows so make your reservations early!
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Eileen. I have been reading your prior posts.

It is important to me to be able to walk out my door onto the sand (no stairs). From photos on their website, they seem to have individual bungalows (no "neighbors" above or connected) but I can't tell how we can ensure we get one of those and which "side" they are on. Are there this type on both sides? The descriptions imply that the Playa side's beachfront bungalows are 3 story units.

Also, did you book through a specific travel company or direct?

Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 05:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know I saw one-story ones on the Playa side but not sure about the other. I did book direct with them and the man who answered the phone was very helpful, he knew the property well and answered a lot of my questions, so I suggest you call and explain how important it is for you to avoid stairs and I am sure they will accommodate you. Just so you know, there are stairs to get into the two restaurants as I recall -- several steps to the breakfast/lunch restaurant and a fairly long flight into the dinner restaurant.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your help. I have a message out to them and hopefully will be going late this fall.