Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

September Honeymoon in Mexico - 2 weeks, Where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 05:45 AM
jolie

We'd like to spend two weeks on our honeymoon and are targeting Mexico. We are open to spending the time in two-three different areas of Mexico. We'd like to stay someplace distinct and romantic for a portion of our vacation. I've read about Cabo San Lucas, Playa del Carmen, Ixtapa & Zihuatenejo...and just don't know where we should go. Any comments or suggestions would be welcomed.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 11:36 AM
sharon

hi! My husband and I went to Hotel Villa del Sol for our honeymoon in Zihuatanejo. It was amazing! I didn't check out Casa que Canta, but I could see it from our beach chairs and have heard it is also excellent. Villa del Sol was expensive, but the beach was beautiful (they are constantly raking it so there is not even one pebble), they have amazing pools, the staff runs to get you a chair, it was really lovely. Lots of other honeymooners/couples there who were fun to go into town with. Zihuat. is a really laid back fun mexican town with great food and mellow bars. It is two seconds from v.d.sol. I'd definitely return! sharon

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 02:34 PM
Marissa

Jolie,<BR><BR>We spent our honeymoon at the Xpu-Ha Palace near Playa del Carmen and it was breathtaking, the beach was great, and the bungalow rooms were very romantic I suggest looking into this resort for one of your weeks.<BR><BR>www.palaceresortsmexico.com<BR><BR>

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 07:39 PM
katie

we went to ixtapa/zih last year- it was great- would be a good honeymoon spot if you wanted time to yourselves- we slept in ixtapa but spent our days in zihuatenejo- worked well for us- some zih hotels were pretty primative

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 04:32 AM
Susan

Not sure which hotels the previous poster looked at, but there are some gorgeous hotels in Zihuatanejo. Most are small, but I'm thinking of the luxury places which are beyond my budget, but that didn't stop us from looking. <BR><BR>I didn't like Ixtapa at all, and for us, it made a lot more sense to stay in Zihuatanejo. In our 2 weeks, we went into Ixtapa once and through Ixtapa twice to go to Isla Ixtapa.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 05:38 AM
dan

Try a fishing village setting for part of the time at: www.lamanzanillamexico.info<BR><BR>adios!<BR>mexci odan

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 01:39 PM
Wendy

I was in Zihua/Ixtapa last Oct and it was the end of the rainy season/low season. It rained everyday at 4PM, also there were very few people in town- most restuarants we had to ourselves. Not much nightlife because of the time of year also.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:56 PM
jolie

Thanks all for the suggestions. (I'm glad that so many of you suggested Villa del Sol and Casa Que Canta - we were going to look into both of these)I think we'll head to Zihuatenejo for a week or so...anyone have a suggestion for the second week? Cabo San Lucas?? Or Playa del Carmen?? Where else could we go in Mexico that would be charming, cultural and romantic?

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 04:13 AM
Susan

How about a place in the interior? We've spent time most recently in Morelia (last March), but have also been to San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato and Oaxaca. This year, we've spending a week at a beach destination, then spending a few days in Mexico City. <BR><BR>I love the interior of Mexico. Any of the places north (Morelia, etc.) are easily reached by bus from Mexico City. It gives you a totally different outlook on Mexico and its culture.