Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Sending things back home. (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/sending-things-back-home-1082772/)

CharlieTh Jan 3rd, 2016 08:06 AM

Sending things back home.

Hi everyone,

Me and my wife are going to Cancún this January. We don't plan to have too much luggage, only one piece of luggage. It will be pretty full for the two of us, but will sure be enough.
My question is, is it very expensive to send souvenirs (such as fabric and other non breakable things) from Mexico to the US or is it worth to pay the $35 for an extra piece of luggage?

All serious answers are welcome.

CharlieTh Jan 3rd, 2016 08:07 AM

BTW, how are the beaches now bu 8.5km? Still full of sea weed?

suze Jan 3rd, 2016 08:13 AM

I would pay for the extra suitcase and take it on the plane with you.

Generally speaking, mailing packages out of Mexico is not all that reliable.

CharlieTh Jan 3rd, 2016 09:10 AM

OTOH it's $35 each way which comes up to $70... I could use that on tequila and good food. Just saying. I appreciate your reply suze, but just want to exchange ideas.

MmePerdu Jan 3rd, 2016 09:13 AM

I generally use the mail when I travel, to send boxes home. From Mexico I only have experience with mailing postcards but, as suze indicates, I think even that is telling. I mailed 3 cards at the same time. The one to India arrived first. The one to California was delayed but eventually got there. The one to Italy still hasn't gotten there 3+ months later. I'd guess a parcel service like UPS or FedEx would be fine but bringing another bag is probably better and less expensive. You could nest it inside your 1 checked bag to save fees both directions.

Fra_Diavolo Jan 3rd, 2016 09:20 AM

Or simply buy a duffel which can be packed inside your other bag on the way down, then filled with "non-breakable" souvenirs and checked for the return flight.

Christina Jan 3rd, 2016 09:30 AM

How would you even go about sending such a box home, do you know? If not, then you are going to have to spend a lot of time in a post office, trying to figure out packaging, or getting to a Fedex etc facility, so that's not free.

But there isn't any way in the world you can send something for less than $35 to the US by some registered for-profit shipping service, you can't hardly even do that in the US, actually (just trying sending a large box by Fedex across country and see what it costs). If you are buying fabric, that is very bulky and heavy, as it must be make something or upholster, etc., not just a very small swatch.

Sending about a 10-12 lb box by Fedex from Cancun to US will cost you over $100.

If you are only taking one suitcase for some reason, you should be allowed one each as free checkin. I don't know what airline you are flying that charges you to check a bag when flying internationally, I've never flown one. Southwest is always free, they fly to Cancun, and United and AA charge in the US but doesn't for Mexico, for example. Delta charges for Mexico, but only $25, not $35.

CharlieTh Jan 3rd, 2016 09:58 AM

Haha Christina,

You made my day! Of course it's one luggage per person. My brain doesn't work apparently... I always think of my wife and I as a unity.... In that case I have no problems at all. And we're flying with Jet Blue FYI and they do charge $35 for every extra luggage that we check in.

CharlieTh Jan 3rd, 2016 10:59 AM

JetBlue are thieves!

Me to JetBlue: Hi I wonder if it's one luggage per passenger that is checked in fo free.
JB: Where are you traveling sir?
Me: Cancún, Mexico.
JB: I'm sorry sir but we do charge $25 for each checked in luggage.
Me: That's a rip-off! It means $100 for two both ways.
JB: No, it's not a rip-off. I don't know about any airline that doesn't charge for the luggage.
Me: OK. Then let me tell you...(Interrupted)
JB: I am not going to argue over the phone, sir.
Me: OK. But let me tell you the ... (click and she hung up!)

First and last time I'm booking with JB!

And let me tell you, no airline i Europe charges for the first luggage! NONE! As far as I know. But this explains why it's always crowded at the carry-on luggage compartments above the seat in US.

PROFITEERS!

MmePerdu Jan 3rd, 2016 11:24 AM

JetBlue is, I believe, a low-fare airline. All low-fare airlines in Europe also charge for checked bags (IME).

CharlieTh Jan 3rd, 2016 11:29 AM

RyanAir and Norwegian ma do it, but no one else AFAIK. I have traveled with Lufthansa, Brussel Airline, SAS and none of them as charged for the first luggage. And BTW the major US Airlines, such as Delta, Southwestern et. al. also charge for the luggage!
PROFETEERS!

MmePerdu Jan 3rd, 2016 12:37 PM

If you say so Charlie. Good luck with this.

janisj Jan 3rd, 2016 08:56 PM

"And let me tell you, no airline i Europe charges for the first luggage! NONE! As far as I know. "

Haven't traveled much then -- have you?

"And BTW the major US Airlines, such as Delta, Southwestern et. al. also charge for the luggage!"

BTW -- Southwest <u>doesn't</u> charge for checked bags.

Stewbear Jan 4th, 2016 07:10 AM

My wife purchased dishes at Guanajuato which were shipped Fed Ex to our California home.
It arrived as scheduled 3 weeks later undamaged,

CharlieTh Jan 4th, 2016 07:20 AM

janisj;

Yes I have traveled a lot and NEVER been charged for the first luggage from a European Airline.
Apart from that their representatives are usually way nicer than this person that I was subjected to.

PROFITEERS!

CharlieTh Jan 4th, 2016 07:22 AM

And now it turns out that they only allow very small carry-ons. Even a samsonite carry-on is too big because of the wheels and the handles. I don't know if they expect people to buy clothe at the destination and leave them there when returning...

PROFITEERS!

suze Jan 4th, 2016 08:30 AM

<OTOH it's $35 each way which comes up to $70.>

But you only need it 1-way if it's for souvenirs.

Take a fold-up duffle bag, or buy an extra something in Mexico to use for the trip home only.

CharlieTh Jan 4th, 2016 09:17 AM

But if I check in a luggage on the way there, I have to do the same on the way back. A duffel or something small will be fitting on the plane itself. I always use a small back pack or a small duffel for carry-on because I just want something light and not my closet as a carry-on...

CharlieTh Jan 4th, 2016 09:19 AM

What I mean is that it is not the souvenirs that will take up most space. And it's two people who's going so 140 buckaroos just for luggage...

suze Jan 4th, 2016 09:31 AM

OK, I'm officially confused!

You asked: "is it very expensive to send souvenirs (such as fabric and other non breakable things)"

I'm saying...

you and your wife each travel down with one piece of carry-on luggage each (no charge, right?).

And on the way back you check-in one large something (could be a box) and pay the $35 fee, to get the fabric and other non breakable things home.