Seeking Private Driver in Merida for Day Trips

Mar 7th, 2018, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Seeking Private Driver in Merida for Day Trips

Hello All, I will be in Merida with my 2 adult nieces from March 25th to March 30. I want to do about 3 days trips. I'm not in to the organized bus trips. I usually will ask a taxi or Uber driver if they want to chauffer me around for the day. Does anyone know of a private driver, private automobile that is willing to take me and my 2 nieces to places like Celestun, Progresso, Chitchen Iza, or even Izamal. I'm not looking for a tour guide, just a private driver who's looking to make some money on the side. Thank you,
Mar 17th, 2018, 02:22 PM

No, I don't but I'd suggest asking your hotel, presuming you have one. As far as Progreso, you can easily just go yourself on the bus. Just go to the Progreso bus terminal on c/62 (between 65 and 67). Buses go about every 10 minutes (going up c/64) to the bus terminal in Progreso and cost about 20 pesos. The bus company is www.autoprogreso.com

There are also hourly buses to Izamal that leave from the station on c/46 (also between 65 and 67), and I know there are buses to Celestun also from Noreste station (Oriente company).
Mar 17th, 2018, 03:18 PM
kja

I'm sorry I can't answer the question you asked, but as Christina noted, it is easy to get from Merida to Celestun, Izamal, or Progresso from Merida. Of course, if you want a private driver for those destinations, I'm sure you can find one if that's your preference; in contrast, I have a strong preference to use public transportation so that I can see local people interacting with one another.

And FWIW, I'm very surprised that Uxmal and the Ruta Puuc aren't only your designation wish list -- IMO, seeing those sites is the single most un-missable day trip (or even overnight trip) from Merida. YMMV.
Mar 19th, 2018, 05:31 AM

I have to agree with the previous comments here above. We have just returned from a 3 day stay in Merida from Playa del Carmen ( as we do every year) and have been ,with time, to all the destinations you have mentioned and more. All of which we have reached by public transport , weather it be first or second class. Nothing could be easier and most certainly cheaper, the bus system in set up in such a wat as to serve the locals in a timely and economical fashion and I suggest you take advantage of this ...
Mar 19th, 2018, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Christina,

I did some additional research and found ADO bus near our hotel. That would be great if we can take it to Celestun from our hotel. However, we are in the Altabrisa area, the Hilton Garden Hotel at Altabrisa Plaza. Actually, I prefer a private driver because we would then be on our schedule and not the buses' schedule. I've done this in many countries including in Mexico City.