Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Security in Bogotá (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/security-in-bogot-453782/)

JVD Jun 27th, 2004 04:16 PM

Security in Bogotá

I am thinking about moving to Bogotá in January but I am reading the US
State Department's warnings and it seems like the city is seething with criminals.
What is the real story about kidnappings and crime? I speak Spanish well enough
to have most people think I am from South America. I live in Mexico now--about
3 years, have traveled throughout Central America and was even married to a Honduran.
I figure I would look like a middle-class 45 year-old in most western countries.
Should I expect to be picked up by terrorists or what?

Thanks.

tenfan294 Jul 19th, 2004 10:47 AM

It's really no different from any other place. I lived in Bogota and my brother just came back from there without any problem. The Northern part of Bogota is generally safer to the area of Calle 93. As long as you can speak Spanish well, you should have no problem. It is also very important you have a contact in Bogota so that you will become familar with your surroundings. Because there have been many instances in which people will become your "friends" just to mug you. I hope this helps and enjoy Bogota.

Sam_Salmon Jul 21st, 2004 09:55 AM

For up to date info on Colombia go to www.poorbuthappy.com then to the Forum-all kinds of info.
I was in Bogotá 3 times in February-travelled/walked around much of the city and never felt anything but safe.
I'm also an experienced Latin American traveller and I think Colombia is much safer than either Mexico or Ecuador.
Bogotá is a clean orderly city-people are slightly reserved as is common in Andean cities but they are unfailingly polite.
The US Govt warnings are paranioa of the most hysterical order and are worth the paper they are written on.

nstroh Sep 9th, 2004 10:59 AM

Bogota is as safe as any other large petropolis. Especially in the northern are of the city from 50st up to 200st. You can go out any night and you will find all the bars and cafes packed with people. Everybody is very sophisticated and polite.

atlcity Sep 9th, 2004 11:57 AM

Is there a reason your thinking of moving to Bogota?

elliottnorris Sep 18th, 2004 12:39 PM

i just returned. been there 6 times. north is safest. best hotels, restaurants. scammers are abundant as are thieves. i and another man had our cameras stolen at the same hotel. obviously an inside job. the police were very nice and on the ball. as of yet i have not received any money from the hotel.

i have not up until last week had anything stolen in colombia.

kidnapping is a possibility if you stay in one place for a while. if someone offers $2,000 for info about an american, that is more than 5 months pay for saying " one has been living there for 3 weeks." i rarely worry about that since i am in colombia for short periods. i do know of some anglos who have lived there for years.

Dude Sep 19th, 2004 04:33 AM

Haven't been there. Do work with Colombians here. They love their country but are afraid to go home. I really want to visit Colombia but their concerns about kidnapping really bother me. The Mexicans, Peruvians and Ecuadorians I work with do not share the same sentiment about their countries for whatever it worth.