Security & Safety in Peru

Sep 26th, 2003, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Security & Safety in Peru

A group of us is travelling to Peru next year and some of us have questions about safety and security in the areas of Maccu P., Arequipa, Cusco, Lake Titicaca. We are staying at the Novotel hotel in Cusco, Hotel Liberator in Puno and Hotel Posada del Monasterio in Arequipa. Anyone encountered any concerning safety issues please post or E-mail directly.
Sep 29th, 2003, 05:12 AM

Having recently returned from two of three of your destinations, I can assure you that security is not as issue. Novotel Cusco has around the clock doormen, and the city itself is loaded with cops. However, like any large city, all bets are off late at night. If your out late, just take a cab back to your hotel. In Cuzco a cab from anywhere to anywhere is about $1.
For Arequipa, I can only speak of the area around Plaza de Armas, which I consider to be very safe, in that it is constantly populated. Not as many narrow backstreets as Cuzco, good police presence, are fairly well lit.

Overall, keep in mind that Peru is the third world, and that expensive dress/equipment is very noticable.
Oct 26th, 2003, 03:25 PM

Hi. Agree with "ncacavan". You choose good and safe hotels.
I stayed in Novotel in Cusco and you will not have problems. In your walk trips during the night try to avoid "el centro" wich is downtown or take a taxi. Dont wear fancy dresses. Enyoy Cusco, Urubamba, Macchu Picchu and other nice places in Cusco.
In Puno your Hotel Libertador belongs to a good chain. The lake view is spectacular, specially when the sun comes out. Try the "huajsapata" a pisco hot coctail drink before your meal or if you prefer a cold one the unique peruvian (not chilean) pisco sour.
In Arequipa I don't know the Posada del Monasterio. Are you sure of that name? I stayed at the Posada del Puente that have very nice rooms, two suites with jacuzzi, try them! This hotel is close to a bridge and the river, not in the middle of downtown but en route to the airport. I beleve tah in this city is were you must becarful about briberies in downtown.
One personal suggestion. Bring to Peru a good camera, but not one that can be too much attarctive toi be stolen as in other countries with some devoloping problems.
Remember, in Areauipa, Puno and Cusco, the coca tea ("mate de coca") is very well to fight against sicknes! Try it.
Please let me know if I can be helpful in any additional way.
Regards.
Guido

Search this Thread