Second Trip Manuel Antonio, Arenal, Liberia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Day 1 Oct 8th arrived San Jose straight to Adobe rental car. Arrived 8:30PM left car rental at 9:00 pm rental includes a free cellphone to use. Of to Hotel Grano De Oro stayed there a year ago. Driving a little spooky at night first time. I new about where the hotel was so off we went. I got within a block or two and couldn't find it in the dark. Forgot there isn't street signs most anywhere. When about four blocks to the nearest main drag and turned into a speed trap with about 15 cops there who waved me over. It seems Costa Rica had just bet the US in soccer so there was alot of drunk drivers. We were trying to explain to the officer we were trying to locate our hotel he didn't understand any english. I thought we would have to pay all sorts of fines and spend all our trip money the first night. After about 10 minutes he said to follow another officer on his motorcycle and he would show us where it was. So off again we go following the cop with his light flashing about 5 blocks away. Checked into Grando De Oro Hotel still top rated accomidations. Took a few pictures and went to bed. Next Day Trip to Manuel Antonio
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Day Two Oct 9th Had great macadamia nut pancakes at Grano De Oro then off we go to Hotel Costa Verde in Manuel Antonio Trip took about 3 1/2 hours. The first half was good roads then near the crocadile bridge the roads and bridges got much worse I crossed about 10 1 lane bridges that I wouldn't even want to ridae a bike on in the US. Found our hotel about 1PM beautiful great ocean view. We relaxed until arround 4:30 pm and went to the Monkey Bar at the hotel. Arround 20 squirrel monkey's showed up and jumped from chair to chair. One sit on my wife's chair through dinner which by the way great. The show got x-rated when one of the began strocking himself. Off to the office and we sceduled a trip the next day for dolphin watching with Planet Dolphin. Spen several hours watching the ocean then off to bed for an early tour. Day Three Dolphin Tour
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Day three- Breakfast at hotel very tasty. We were pickep up at the hotel at 8:30 AM for the Dolphin tour $70.00 each includes drinks and lunch. About 25 people took the cruise from several hotels The boat and crew were very nice so off we go a still and a video camera to catch the dolphin pictures. Guess what saw nothing the lunch was a small three quarter size pices of marlin and some poor macroni salad and 8 packs of cookies for 25 people. The drinks were a very watered down rum punch. When we got back we drove arround looking for a dinner spot for seafood. Big Mistake!
Found a place a mile north my wife checked out the menu for a latter dinner. After a several hours at the hotel cooling off we hit the seafood restraunt. I mistakenly was thing the conversation rate was 850 to one instead of 485 to 1 dollear. We ordered lobster and ice tea thinking dinner would run about $30.00 The food wasn't that great and the bill came to $63.00. I had also forgot the 23% of tax and tip they add. Needless to say we won't go back to that place again. This dinner was more than double and other dinners on the entire vacation.
Next day four Manuel Antonio Park-Can it get worse?
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Day four- Manuel Anotnio Park Our hotel tour desk charges $40.00 per person so since we had a car we decided to drive there on our own and hire a gude when the park opened at 7am. Had a fair breakfast a the soda next to the park then when the park opened off we went. The tide was high so $1 and we took a small boat across to the park. When we got to the park entrance it was beginning to rain and no guide wher there so we trudged on. The park has trails to follow so we went walking after about a mile we came to a road and three branchs of the path unable to read spanish we picked a nice looking cinder block path and trudged on. By now it was a cloud burst we began having to crawl over logs that had fallen all the time wondering were the snake were going to poop out of. After anothe 3/4 of a mile of wading thur several small streams now appearing everwhere we came to a drop off. The drop off was through a tight spot thru the trees with about a four foot 45 degree drop down the muddy slope. You could see the shoreline through the trees though. I said lets turn back but the wife said she would go down and check it out. When she got there she said the shore is her come on down. So down I come ( what a mistake). When I get there I look around and ther is no way out except the ocean that is really deep there. So now I must attempt to crawl up the muddy slope. Oh, Oh no traction to slipery. Then a thought no one knows where were at. So I try about six mor times grabbing treelimbs the keep breaking attempting to reach the top. Then I made it however my wife was still dow below so after her trying for about ten minutes I pulled her to the top. Now exhausted we began trying to find our way back and its raining even harder. I came within a foot of a babr racoon the her mom and another baby. Boy! glar they weren't bushmasters or fertlances. We finally made it out around 11:30AM soaked to the bone. At the gate my wife told the guy at the gate who sain they don't search for missing hikers and one guy got lost and died there and no one found him for three weeks. Back to the hotel for showers and and much needed rest. Dinner was again at the Monkey Bar what a treat the Monkey's are.
Next Day 5- Punta Leona Hotel
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Day 5 on the road to Hotel Punta Leona
Left early roads horrible briges worse. Stopped in Jaco for a breakfast at a small soda was very good. Off now Puenta Leona Hotel roads are getting worse more and more large pot holes. One pot hole contained a 55 gallon drum in it and only a 1/3 stuck out. Arrived at the hotel early so decided to see the crocs in the river what a site. Then we thought we we drive to Puntarenas the road was crowed with traffic dodging pot holes more than ever. The rain began another hard downpour making seeing the pot holes more difficult. I decided to turn around and head back to the hotel before the entire card was swallowed up n a pot hole. This trip about 15 km each way took 3 hours. Arrived at hour hotel for the night and found it in a large game reserve beautiful. The room was was very nice however you need a car to get arround. Walked the gorgeous beach and grounds lots to monkeys and birds. Enjoyed a great dinner in their restaraunt. During dinner we had a suprise guest a raccoon. he came to our table within a foot of us for about 10 minutes. The staff claim he comes in several times a night. Well off to bed.
Day 6 Off to Arenal
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Day 6 Trip to Arenal. Had a great breakfast at the Punta Leona Hotel then checked out and headed for Arenal. We took the road through San Ramon since we took the other way through Zarcaro last year. The roads were much better hardly any pot holes. Arrived at the Volcano Lodge at 1PM. The Lodge is a great place to stay and the view was clear as ther were no clouds at all. We checked in and arranged for massages in room the next morning $60.00 each. Then drove to La Fortuna and had our laundry done cheep. The hotel aslo offers the service fo $.50 a piece. We were told the best show of the volcano is on the Observatory Lodge area and our hotel sugested dinner there one night. We decided to do it that night since the volcano is clear and may not be again. The road to the Observatory Lodge is 14 km of real rough 4 wheel drive roads. Not a fun place to drive after dark. We arrived about 4:30pm and the volcano was really puting on a show from the restarunt. The food was extreamly good and not a bad price. I had the sea bass and my wife had sirlion tips and a drink each cost with tax $32.00 total. Around 8:00 PM after getting lots of great pictures we headed back. I lucked out and followed a tour bus out who knew where all the pot holes were.
Day 7 Massages and ATV tour
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Day 7 had the included breakfast at the hotel then got ready for our massages. Two lady's appeared on time and gave us heavenly massages. We the dressed and and went on a ATV Tour. This was a first for us so we had a couple of jaunts around a training track. The tour guide took us up to La Fortuna falls a buterfly garden and snacks there. Then we went to another bridge. My wife forgot to hit the brake once and took 30 years off the tour guides life. She just missed hitting him and going over a 50 foot cliff. It was a blast though. We had our dinner a the Volcano Lodge and both enjoyed the largest rib eye steaks ever. The meals with three drinks each $23.00.
Day 8 Iguanas and Hanging briges
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Day 8 We had breakfast at the hotel and drove to the restraunt that feeds the iguanas there are hundreds of them that beg like dogs. Back to the hotel to cool off. A couple of hours later we drove to the hanging bridges about a 15 minute drive. The entrance fee $20.00 each. This was a breat trip lots of animals were seen. As we were about 3/4 of the way through the volcano had a big eruption couldn't see but could hear and feel it. The trip is about 2 miles long. Just as we were about a hundred yards from the exit another eruption. We left the area and parked and watched hundreds on rock tumbling down. Then back to the hotel for anothe great dinner.
Next day 9 Travel to Liberia
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Day 9 Trip to Liberia
Had breakfast at Volcano Lodge then off to Liberia. Roads began to get bad again and the rain beagan to pour. Stopped in at the Toad Cafe. Lots of neat things to buy hear loaded up on gigts and macadamia nut brownies. The brownies aren't as good as claimed and way over priced. several miles futher is a german bakery may be a better choice for a snack. Once around the lake the roads got much better until we got on the PanAm Highway then back to servering constantly to miss the pot holes. Though not nearly as bad as in Jaco area. Arrived at our next hotel the all-inclusive Allegro Papagayo time about 1PM. Total trave time about 4 hours. I checked in but could get a key until 3PM so we drove south an saw many many flooded homes. At about 3:30 PM I got the key but they where out of safe keys. This property if georgous waht a fiew the room are spacious. This was however our first stay at an all-inclusive. We signed up for another dolphin tour at the pool area with Charlie Tours $10.00 a person. Also signed up for a ATV tour the next day.
Had our first meal very average like a poor buffet in the US.
Day 10 Dolphin Tour
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Day Ten Breakfast a little better than dinner then off to the boat for the Dolphin tour. The tour is to last 2 to 2 1/2 hours. This turned into one of the best tours saw tons of dolphins,turtles, tuna, and other fish. The trip also allowed for a 30 minute stop to swim. The tour actually last 4 1/2 hours. Great trip!
Day 11 ATV Tour
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Day 11 ATV tour The starts with a boat ride across the bay. Everyone removing there tennis shoes to wade to the boat. Tip wear sandels. This trip starts after a 5 minute bus ride to the ATV's. Then the fun began as it began it began to pour. we must have crossed 30 rivers and drove up and down several. One lady ran into a tree and we were stopped for a police inspection. What muddy fun we had we also saw howler monkeys. After 4 1/2 hours we returned exhausted and fithly. You have to try this trip. Back to the Hotel for a last dinner which was the best we had while there.
Day 12 Trouble at the airport
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Day 12- Off to the town for gas and turn in the rental car. Arrived about three hours before the flight. About two hour before they opened flight check in. We were first in line so we were the first to get random searches. We had four bags and all were opened and everything pulled out for all to see. They took all the broken sea shells away and had us unwrap all the purchases we had wrap to protect them. They gave my wife a hard time with her curling iron evening plugging it in. They also completly disasembled my flashlights an lost a piece on one. We finally made it through and checked our bags. Next we went through the metal dectors with our carry ons. Again they searched the smae bages that had allready been checked and taged. Again we had to unwrap all our our purchases. Again we made it through now all we need to do is get on the plane. No! Not so easy another check of our bags before entering the plane and a another hand metal dector sweep. Wow we made it on the plane. But allready can't wait to return. Will anwser and questions I can help with.

Bob
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 08:00 AM

Hi Bob, We love Costa Rica always such an adventure! Can you tell me the name and time of the restaurant at Arenal where they feed the Iguanas? Also am i to understand they confiscated your seashells? Thanks, Debbie
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

The town I beleive is Muella its about 10 miles from La Fortuns on the way to Los Chiles. You can also ask any of the tour bus driver's or taxis in La Fortuna and they will help you find it. Yes they took about 10 broken sea shells away while waying her finger and saying no, no, no.