Sarapiqui - Selva Verde or Sueno Azul?

Old Mar 12th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Sarapiqui - Selva Verde or Sueno Azul?

Hi - Going to Sarapiqui - Is it better to stay at Selva Verde or Sueno Azul - I was leaning to Selva Verde but husband is concerned about the rooms being musty as they turn off the ac between visitors and then the room doesn't air out until the next occupa nt? I think he saw this on trip advisor somewhere. Also has anyone done the night tour at Le Selve
Biological Station?
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 06:48 AM
RAC

Are you staying in a cottage or a river room. Only the former have AC--we stayed in the latter and were perfectly comfortable.

We did a night tour at La Tirimbina and had a great time--much cheaper than La Selva.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 01:54 PM

I have stayed at both. Sueno Azul is not a 'nature lodge' although of course there are many birds around due to the location in the Caribbean lowlands. My general impression of Sueno Azul was that I just didn't enjoy the 'vibe' of the place. It is more remote than Selva Verde, but Selva Verde would definitely be my choice for nature /birds.

Regarding turning the A/C off at Selva Verde....the room will never 'air out' with A/C on. When you arrive put your A/C on during the day, if needed , then turn it off and leave the shutters open during the evening to get some fresh tropical air.

cheers-Jerry
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Hi Thanks for the input - I had asked for a river side room originally but am reconfirming with Selva Verde that that is what we are getting. Did you drive to Sarapiqui region or have a driver drop you off and how many days would you say is enough 3? We plan to zip line and raft as well as take hikes and maybe do the chocolate tour that everyone says is worthwhile. Then we will travel to either Manual Antonio or Punta Islita or Montezuma area for 4 days. Trying to figure out what is the best spot to hang at (2 adults 3 girls) My husband and I did Arenal and Osa Peninsula last trip.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 02:48 PM

Sarapiqui is best for nature study, which is why we visit the area, so I can't comment on zip lines etc. We usually stay 3 or 4 nights. We have always had a rental car.
We haven't done the night tour at La Selva but suspect it would be very interesting. The Sarapiqui region is very rich in wildlife.
Actually the grounds at Selva Verde can be good for wildlife viewing, including lots of poison arrow frogs.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 07:20 PM
RAC

We drove to the Sarapiqui area. If you have your own vehicle, you can raft the Pacuare, which is ranked as one of the top 5 rivers in the world. You just drive about 90 minutes to their operations center (easiest destination to find for us in two trips to Costa Rica). I would do other activities besides the zip line there--so many unique activiities-La Selva, Tirimbina, Heliconia Island . . .

We did both Montezuma (Ylang Ylang) and Manuel Antonio (La Posada). Can't go wrong with either--Montezuma has a more laid back, less crowded beach scene, while Manuel Antonio has more lodging/dining choices and of course Manuel Antonio park.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 09:08 AM

Lodge rooms at Selva Verde don't have a/c, only the bungalows across the road and up the hill. I did not like the looks of the bungalow and have stayed both times in the lodge rooms - best bet is by the river and some of these are newly renovated. No a/c needed.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 10:13 AM

Bookmarking.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

I reserved a riverside room at Selva Verde. We will have a driver take us up our first night although the hotel would prefer we come the next day. Looking forward to the various hikes.
Question don't know if I should start a new topic but deciding between using Adventuras del Sarapiqui for rafting which is not far from hotel not sure id Sarapiqui river or other or have been emailing with Rio -Tropicales but ride is approx. 2 hours to drop in at reventazon river which Rio Tropicales said would be more
reliable for water rafting in April. Has anyone used Adventuras del Sarapiqui?? I have read lots on Rio Tropicales but not so much on the other. Please advise
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 07:16 PM

We used Rios Tropicales - have not heard of the other company.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 07:59 PM
RAC

We've used both and would recommend either. I would make your choice based on the river you want to run. The Reventazon would be more technically challenging, while the Sarapiqui is probably more scenic.